Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

How far up the line are you putting that sinker? i assume right above the hook so that you dont helicopter the eel on your cast. Ive done well with my hot smelly dead eels on bucktails but Ill try this in the inlet.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

How far up the line are you putting that sinker? i assume right above the hook so that you dont helicopter the eel on your cast. Ive done well with my hot smelly dead eels on bucktails but Ill try this in the inlet.

probably about 12-16 inches the eel weighs more than the sinker it is just to make it harder for the eel to do what it wants to do and to make it struggle. 

Edited by crazybellringer

Obviously not a technique talking point, bu I lose a ton of eels fishing with anything other than a moderate rod.  I can really lean into them with  a GSB and rarely lose them on the cast.

I adhere to the "bow to the cow" technique... as soon as I feel those sharp taps, keep line on the roller, point the tip straight at the water and kind of bend/crouch a bit.  As soon as that line goes tight, cross their eyes and bring it home.  I fish with the drag almost locked on my VSX200, and as soon as I whack it home a few times my hand drops and I loosen up a bit.

See ya out there!

Edited by Bluetaildragger

I didn't fish with eels often.   But I know from experience when a big bass hammers an eel, there's no mistaking it.   Double taps, first one to stun it, second one to swallow it whole.  This is where you lower the rod tip to the water for a couple seconds then set the hook hard.  I used Gami 8/0 bait hooks, didn't normally use a sinker because I just free spooled it with the drag on tight, as i was fishing them mostly off the rocks out front, like say in Montauk.

@Bluetaildragger My rod is okay with eels. Its a 9ft RH Custom SS 1-4oz... more of a jetty settup than back bay or boulder field. It definitely doesnt sling them reel far but they stay on better than using my fast action century

My eel stance is like a crouching tiger stalking its prey.

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Any advice on hook type? I feel like I should switch to an inline hook rather than the offset octopus that ive been using.

I'm going to buck the trend here on the hooks.  I have found that the live bait hooks can be too thick in that they wear a large hole in the eel that can make it easy for them to de-hook themselves or go flying during hard casts.  Maybe it was just bad luck that night but it was frustrating as poop and I never used them again.  I'm pretty sure I use octopus 7/0 or 8/0 Gamis, just not the shortened shank, thicker live bait version. 

Another thing you can do, which DoorGunner has mentioned when fluke fishing, is cutting a thin slice of a rubber worm and popping it on the hook (over the barb) after putting the eel on.  That way they're not going back off and it won't get in the way of any fish.

I dont want to overthink things and I will go through my own trials and errors, but im glad you brought up that point.

Im reading a Frank D book now and the eeling chapter mentions of mustads that he puts through the mouth and out the bottom of the eels chin. You dont hear guys eeling with this settup around here.

It also depends on how you hook the eel. I usually hook eels up through the jaw, and out through the eye. They stay on well for any size hook from my experiences with using eels as live bait. But it is true that using hooks that are too thick can let the eel escape (depending on the size of the eel). If it’s the larger eels you can use the thicker hooks without having to worry about them getting unhooked. However, the size of the hook shouldn’t be too much of a problem, but it also depends on how you hook the eel.

Edited by Gabriel Molotsky

I’m curious as to where you got eels around here bc I’ve been wanting to try eels this spring.  

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

I’m curious as to where you got eels around here bc I’ve been wanting to try eels this spring.  

You should be able to get them at Giligos 

Ugg the most expensive place around.  How much are they there?   I was hoping to find an Ethnic super market that has love eels

8 hours ago, Goldy said:

Ugg the most expensive place around.  How much are they there?   I was hoping to find an Ethnic super market that has love eels

You shoulda seen the eels that i got from China town that I fished with last year. 20+" 9oz orange and red beasts.

I go to brinkmans for eels @ $1.50