Shipwreck

Carry On with Lures

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Why not just put fishing stuff including travel rod, reel, plier and  Plano box of jigs and plugs in check in bags? I flew to Florida several times ( Southwest) and never had a problem.

Check in is not free. Carry on is included in the ticket price except United basic economy class

Edited by levari

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/14/2019 at 8:07 AM, Shipwreck said:

Don't want to check bags.  Can you bring a Plano box with a bunch of lures in a carry on?  Flying American if that makes a difference.

Haha, Sure. The TSA employees love lures with lots of hooks.  Some fish.  Some give them out as Christmas presents.  Swiss Army knives and shampoo too.

If you value anything and have questions about whether it will be confiscated, assume that it will.

As a side note, relative to airlines, some years ago I researched Jet Blue relative to carrying guitars as carry-on.  Rules stated that they were, and could be placed in the storage area by the flight attendants.  When I arrived at my little local airport, the nice people at the desk said I couldnt take it on. Luckily I had my car in the parking garage and put it back in the car.  If I had been dropped off at the airport, I would have had to leave it somewhere, or miss my flight.  Basically, flying sucks big time.

Edited by blackdogfish

I flew down to Florida from PHL in February and didn't have any problems bringing lures with hooks still attached. As long as you don't have huge shark hooks I don't see them giving you any trouble. I had my reels with me as well with the braided line still spooled up, I had heard somewhere that they might give you trouble for that but they didn't even bat an eye.