Shipwreck

Carry On with Lures

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Dont want to check bags.  Can you bring a Plano box with a bunch of lures in a carry on?  Flying American if that makes a difference.

Don't know about now, but a few years ago a friend of mine flew in. He had plugs without hooks and it was okay. Bring your split ring pliers and have a friend grab some trebles, or buy them when you arrive.

Oops, they probably won't let you have the pliers. I hate flying, I'd rather drive.

I fly domestically very often, and the inconsistency on what can and can't be carried on is incredible.  Seems to vary day to day, TSA agent to agent and airport to airport.  Hooks or no hooks I wouldn't risk it.  Ship them in advance if you can.  If not DEFINITELY remove hooks!

One other note...never say "well they let me carry them on at XYZ123 airport, why can't I do it here?!"  That does not go well at all lol.

Right after 9/11 I had a bunch of flies 'confiscated' in Denver.  You could see the TSA guy's eyes light up and then see him do the calculus in his head.

Bam.  

Gone.

****er

Hooks are a NO GO.  I fly with tackle quite a bit, I have to check anything that is sharp.  If you don't want to check a bag just for hooks, just ship your plugs ahead of your flight so it is waiting for you when you get there.

Flown Boston to Richmond VA round trip three times this year. Carried on a dozen 1/4-3/4oz jigheads, EWG rigged plastics, hogy epoxy jigs, storm shads, and 4-6 plugs with up to 2/0 VMC 9626 on them. No problem yet, knock on wood. Reel with 10lb braid, 3 piece rod, nippers. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Somehow I ended up with a butterfly jig in my carry on bag a few years ago.  It was part of a package of stuff my kids gave me for my birthday in July.  December of that year and roughly 15-20  flights it was confiscated.  I didn't even know it was in the bag and it somehow managed to make that many trips undetected (or nobody cared) until i ran into the wrong (or right depending on you POV) TSA agent.  So, you just never know.

Edited by FoliFish

Flew to Florida  jet blue no problem with carry on bag plugs hooks reel and travel rod and came back with yellow tail and black fin flays in the same bag. TSA asked me what kind of fish nice guy.

8 hours ago, ged said:

I fly JetBlue a lot. Never had an issue with tackle. Huge jigs, no problem :)

It’s not the airline who checks your bags. It’s TSA regardless of the airlines.

Posted (edited) · Report post

From TSA web site:

Small Fishing Lures

• Carry On Bags: Yes
  • Checked Bags: Yes

Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage.

Edited by levari

9 hours ago, ged said:

I fly JetBlue a lot. Never had an issue with tackle. Huge jigs, no problem :)

No problem also 

45 mins ago, levari said:

It’s not the airline who checks your bags. It’s TSA regardless of the airlines.

TSA rules on fishing hooks , This is what i read and this is what i do . Fishing hooks go in a clear case or container so they can visually see them & there is no danger of them getting pierced by an inspection TSA agent =   I carry them with my over head bag 

Why not just put fishing stuff including travel rod, reel, plier and  Plano box of jigs and plugs in check in bags? I flew to Florida several times ( Southwest) and never had a problem.