sailormrfish

[May 2019] Stay safe, partner up!

26 posts in this topic

It looks like there are many people new to kayak fishing on this forum (myself included.). So I'd like to start an ongoing post for new/experienced people who'd like to partner up before heading on the water.

Post your planned outing general area, dates, preferred group size and experience, and any other details you'd want to add. Please move to private messages to discuss specifics with your buddies.

Ads for last minute outings are welcome too. Please edit your post if you've already buddied up.

I hear the peconic bay is starting to get alive; ping me up if you'd like to plan an outing this weekend, weather permitting.

- dates: May 18 and/or 19th.

- group size preferred: 2 or 3.

- experience: getting comfier, but still a noob :)

If I had to partner up I wouldn't be able to fish really at all. Not many people can get up and fish a 1am-2:30am window on a weeknight or even a 8-10pm during a weekend. The best I can do is a float plan and be self reliant. Even with a partner you still have to have a self rescue plan and perform that solo.   Most here don't even practice a self rescue for themselves. I will never forget the two experienced kayak anglers off Narragansett Bay during a tournament and one rolled over. The fellow that went in couldn't get back into his kayak. His partner came over and the fellow in the water unexpectedly climbed up on the side in a panic  and pulled him over. Now two went into the drink. That was ROL. He lost all his stuff but thankfully both survived.

I hate fishing with others, I am a misanthrope, I’d rather drown. I am less misanthropic with a few beers in me but I don’t drink and pedal. 

I’m with the Riddler, my fishing time is in the dark.   I thouroghly enjoy launching and fishing with my buddies when possible but when your on the water it is a solo act.  when fishing or saving your own life, you need to practice.   

I have posted this on SOL before,  said by a far better saltwater kayaker than me “ it’s not if you dump it is when you dump so Dress to swim”(Joe B) 

Planning on heading out tonight north monmouth county. Maybe get some blues. I'm pretty new. Second time out. Company welcome. 

I’ve had my hobie for two years now, got it setup nice last year with plans to do fish as much as possible. Surgery held me back to only one trip last year. With the canal poised to be the more overcrowded than its ever been in the past I’d really like to switch gears and spend all my time in the yak. Ill post beforehand anytime I go out, would much rather prefer going out with others if possible. The one friend I have with a kayak would be lucky to get him out once this year 

1 hour ago, msabella17 said:

I’ve had my hobie for two years now, got it setup nice last year with plans to do fish as much as possible. Surgery held me back to only one trip last year. With the canal poised to be the more overcrowded than its ever been in the past I’d really like to switch gears and spend all my time in the yak. Ill post beforehand anytime I go out, would much rather prefer going out with others if possible. The one friend I have with a kayak would be lucky to get him out once this year 

What area do you plan on going out it.

We have a group of 6 staying in Denis June 13-17.  We plan to fish the Brewster flats. Also will fish Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod Bay, south side, based on winds and weather.   Everyone is experienced, but we don't know the area.  Would love to join someone from the area.  

I know the cape pretty well just from surf fishing, not so much from a yak since I’ve only been out a handful of times. But would love to meet up with some guys