ThrowinPlugs

Entering the Lineup...etiquette?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

^Scooby is funny.

I've seen a couple spots where the best way to play well with others is: One steps forward onto the casting rock, flings lure to fishy area, then steps to the left, because current runs left. Two steps forward, flings lure to fishy area, then steps to left as One goes to back end of rotation. Three steps forward and casts...and the 3 angler rotation works. 

Nobody who goes to these spots likes when another person shows up. Somebody who doesn't cooperate will screw the whole show to pieces. It's the type of place where major tangles, and hard to land fish happens.

Once guys start catching nice fish off a point in the dark the tangles happen.

Years ago (thanks to a guy,can't remember his name) I would cut off my plug then cut off the other end of the tangle,retie on the plug and be fishen while the other guys are playing with the mess.

Love the 20lb mono.

1 hour ago, SC said:

Actually I assumed the line up was in the surf and answered accordingly. 

I think youre right...you say line up around here and people immediately think rotation on the breakway...

I forget that there are places where beach fishing is the main thing. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

10 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

1. Let them know your coming.  Usually with a bright light of some sort.  It's best practice to leave it on until you make eye contact so they know you're there.

2. Ask em what they're fishing for.

3. Gently and quietly set up your sand spike.

4. Use a heavy lead so your bait doesn't move.  That way they know where you're always gonna be and always cast out in front of yourself.

5. When fighting fish keep drag as loose as possible.

Alt.

If plugging.  Make sure you throw the opposite of what's on your left and right.  IF they throw surface plugs throw sinking.  If they throw sinking throw floating.   Ya gotta alternate.

You're an asshat. Lmao

26 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I think youre right...you say line up around here and people immediately think rotation on the breakway...

I forget that there are places where beach fishing is the main thing. 

You make an important point however in that there are different approaches to fishing a lineup based on the location.  Fishing a lineup on an open beach is far different that fishing the end of a breakway or inlets here in jersey. 

3 mins ago, fishless said:

You make an important point however in that there are different approaches to fishing a lineup based on the location.  Fishing a lineup on an open beach is far different that fishing the end of a breakway or inlets here in jersey. 

absolutely. 

not even remotely similar. 

Pretty simple. Ask to join in the rotation. That’s it. However, if you know there is fish all over, go over to the side and start slaying away. Trust me. People will drop out of the rotation really fast if they see that they don’t need to rotate to catch fish. Etiquette is important but there should also be respect to not refuse an angler’s right to cast in a different direction if no one else is casting to that side. Remember it is public property. No one can tell you you can’t do this or that

On 5/15/2019 at 0:52 AM, scoobydoo said:

1. Let them know your coming.  Usually with a bright light of some sort.  It's best practice to leave it on until you make eye contact so they know you're there.

4. Use a heavy lead so your bait doesn't move.  That way they know where you're always gonna be and always cast out in front of yourself.

Alt.

If plugging.  Make sure you throw the opposite of what's on your left and right.  IF they throw surface plugs throw sinking.  If they throw sinking throw floating.   Ya gotta alternate.

That's just plain mean of you!!!

On 5/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, HugeDinghy said:

I've seen guys get five years worth of experience in one night by walking up and saying that they are still learning and "don't want to mess anyone up...pointers are welcome"...usually guys will give great feedback and be glad to show you the ropes. 

come in like a bull in a chinashop, not listening to anyone....that approach usually doesn't work out well. 

Completely agree.  

I've never fished MTK, but in the hundreds of tides I've spent on the Ditch, courtesy goes a long way.  

If it's jammed, I'll look for an opening and ask "Hey, will I be crowding you if I fish from here?"  9/10 times the response is "Hell no.  Come on down!"

Although I've never heard nor used your phrase, "don't want to mess anyone up...pointers are welcome" it is indeed in the spirit of the sport.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:42 AM, HugeDinghy said:

RI is a very weird place. it would equally give you the short of its back, or curb stomp you. 

I met some good guys in RI,very different from the crowd I'm used to.

The problem is with their driving.....:stick:

Always pay attn to your surroundings. If you’re literally walking in to a line up at night you can learn a lot by listening. Within reason, you call tell what others are using by the sound the lure makes when it’s cast or hits the water. Pay attention to the other guys casts and retrieves. If the guy next to you is banging fish and you’re making 2 casts to his one - slow your retrieve down, etc. 

On 5/15/2019 at 0:52 AM, scoobydoo said:

Alt.

Experienced this recently.