ThrowinPlugs

Entering the Lineup...etiquette?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

It may seem kinda common sense or foolish to not know, but entering into a lineup of seasoned guys gives me agita. Normally when I go out to "my" spots, im alone. Theres nobody near me, just me myself and I. Call it luck. Even when going to popular spots, it always seems I'm alone or at most another angler is the way down the beach. Lately however I've noticed more often theres been many more guys, Seasoned guys, who have much more experience than me (not that I'm a newbie, ive been in it for quite a while) and who have developed a rhythm with each other and are obviously "regulars" with eachother. With that being the case, and my goal this year to get out to Montauk more (and other 'big league's areas), where this is prevalent, what exactly is the ettiquite for joining a lineup? Obviously I dont wanna step on toes, or get in the way, or just make an ass of myself. How do you know it's too crowded? What side do you join? What if theres a large gap in the middle, do you make your way in if conditions allow? Help a brother out. I appreciate it.

observe what's going on, which way is the sweep , are they casting in rotation , what are they throwing, if there's a reasonable gap slide in, smile and say hi to the guys on either side of you and get to it! 

If you are used to being alone, one trip to Montauk will be an eye opener. Judging from your post you seem like the kind of guy who I would enjoy fishing next to as I have the same level of politeness and respect for the guys around me. Pakalolo's advice was very good. You need to analyze what's going on and proceed accordingly. If a guy is hooked up next to you and his fish is being swept in front of you, holding back on casting until his fish is in close is the right thing to do. Under most crowded conditions you need to do what is right and courteous while at the same time have a set of balls on standby. Not everyone is going to be that nice and considerate. 

1. Let them know your coming.  Usually with a bright light of some sort.  It's best practice to leave it on until you make eye contact so they know you're there.

2. Ask em what they're fishing for.

3. Gently and quietly set up your sand spike.

4. Use a heavy lead so your bait doesn't move.  That way they know where you're always gonna be and always cast out in front of yourself.

5. When fighting fish keep drag as loose as possible.

Alt.

If plugging.  Make sure you throw the opposite of what's on your left and right.  IF they throw surface plugs throw sinking.  If they throw sinking throw floating.   Ya gotta alternate.

59 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

1. Let them know your coming.  Usually with a bright light of some sort.  It's best practice to leave it on until you make eye contact so they know you're there.

2. Ask em what they're fishing for.

3. Gently and quietly set up your sand spike.

4. Use a heavy lead so your bait doesn't move.  That way they know where you're always gonna be and always cast out in front of yourself.

5. When fighting fish keep drag as loose as possible.

Alt.

If plugging.  Make sure you throw the opposite of what's on your left and right.  IF they throw surface plugs throw sinking.  If they throw sinking throw floating.   Ya gotta alternate.

:laugh:

If a Fellow at either side hooks up and their fish moves with the current in front of you, He Should Walk His Fish so he does not tie up the line. His fish in the current moving in front of several others can cause problems with tangles etc. If he walks his fish he can prevent much anguish.

sb

Observing and trying to understand what they are doing goes a long way.  RI Bways have a certain way of being fished during a dropping tide.  It can be intimidating at first to someone new to the situations, as all of us are at some point.  Best advice i got was to spend some time watching and learning before jumping in, then follow suite.  Once you are in you can adjust what you are doing accordingly and ask questions politely. Its all about manners, which seem to be in serious decline in our society as a whole.

I've seen guys get five years worth of experience in one night by walking up and saying that they are still learning and "don't want to mess anyone up...pointers are welcome"...usually guys will give great feedback and be glad to show you the ropes. 

come in like a bull in a chinashop, not listening to anyone....that approach usually doesn't work out well. 

Just now, HugeDinghy said:

I've seen guys get five years worth of experience in one night by walking up and saying that they are still learning and "don't want to mess anyone up...pointers are welcome"...usually guys will give great feedback and be glad to show you the ropes. 

come in like a bull in a chinashop, not listening to anyone....that approach usually doesn't work out well. 

exactly.... Love the new guys who think they know more then everyone around them.

I have found that most guys entering a line up tend to gravitate towards the center of the line up and attempt to "squeeze in", I assume their reasoning is "they can't be far off" from the action if they're in the center. My reasoning was usually the exact opposite, I found either end of a line up allows far more flexibility in presentation and retrieve and therefore a tremendous advantage in most circumstances and is a

much more welcomed (by others) approach too.

Edited by SC

23 mins ago, SC said:

I have found that most guys entering a line up tend to gravitate towards the center of the line up, I assume their reasoning is "they can't be far off" from the action if they're in the center. My reasoning was usually the exact opposite, I found either end of a line up allows far more flexibility in presentation and retrieve and therefore a tremendous advantage in most circumstances.

Yeah I've never not caught fish by being at the end of a lineup. I prefer having the additional real estate, and the fish are rarely actually holding tight to one specific spot. Also if you're fishing a spot with moderate to heavy current, being at the end of the lineup means fishing the edge of a rip a lot of the time, which I definitely prefer.

Other than that it's just about paying attention. If guys are casting at one spot, then wait your turn, but if everyone's casting straight ahead you do the same. If someone hooks up, it's better to just wait them out and cast as they get close to landing. It may seem intimidating but it's really not, and the fact that you're here asking means you're already one step ahead of the clowns who come in and cross everyone up.

1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

when you guys say lineup, I assume you mean the rotation at the end of a dropping breachway. 

no?

Actually I assumed the line up was in the surf and answered accordingly. 

Good pointers here. I think taking any measures to appear you're not mugging should be taken. Do not squeeze in anywhere. Ask if its ok to join. Pay very close attention to the current. Pay attention to when your neighbors cast and do not cast at the same time. Try really hard not to cross lines. It happens to everyone but if happens more then a few times in a short period of time you should probably move. Make some well appreciated light hearted banter. Start out throwing different plugs to what everyone else is doing.