Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

That is a nonsensical statement lol

no its not, if I said too smooth it would be

but this is diferent

it needs some inertia, weight to it

Why do you guys even bother. :kook:

It would be nice to have a complete spare, but I would take that as a sign to upgrade to a power knob. 

2 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Am I totally nuts but is there a jump in quality when you go beyond the 4000 BG? I have a 4000 and a 4500 and the 4500 feels way more solid.

I've got both too as far as I can tell the body materials are all the same but the 4500 does feel beefier. Maybe heavier internal parts? The 4500 does handle 22 lbs of drag vs 17. Could explain the jump in weight. Still haven't had issues with the 4000 though, knock on wood

3 hours ago, glos said:

and rotor flow is too light

spool movement doesnt feel solid, its too easy on its motion

something is fishy when those dont give some feedback

If I’m understanding this logic correctly then all upper echelon reels are poorly made because they feel too nice.

18 mins ago, Dinger117 said:

If I’m understanding this logic correctly then all upper echelon reels are poorly made because they feel too nice.

they are not

they feel more substancial

heavier and more solid bail arm has to do with it also

2 mins ago, glos said:

they are not

they feel more substancial

heavier and more solid bail arm has to do with it also

So if I made a reel entirely out of stainless steel it would be extremely heavy and feel “substantial” making it the best reel ever?  And no stellas and the like are not heavier than lower priced reels the whole point of these reels is to have a lighter, smoother, stronger reel. And what does a more solid bail arm have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing is the answer, this thread was about a handle breaking and you decided to talk bad about a reel you obviously know nothing about. Enlighten me on something better in the same price range.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Am I totally nuts but is there a jump in quality when you go beyond the 4000 BG? I have a 4000 and a 4500 and the 4500 feels way more solid.

Well the gear size is bigger and I’m thinking that is probably easier to engineer bigger than smaller technology. Just a theory. 

Correction I believe the gear size is same on 4000 ad. 4500 and 5000. As the gear ration is all the same. Sorry for misinformation. 

Edited by jeffapeikin
Correftion

A friend bought two BG 4000s around June of last year. By July, both handles had sheared off in the exact same manner while snagging bunker. He later won a BG 4000 in his fishing club's raffle. Bet you can't guess that happened to it two weeks down the road. 

It's not just you. I've beat up my 2500 and it's doing fine, and most folks have reported the same with most sizes. Bad batch of pins on the 4000s is the conclusion from what I've witnessed. Good to know my buddy isn't a human fiddler crab. 

15 mins ago, DanTheBassMan said:

It's not just you. I've beat up my 2500 and it's doing fine

I suspect that’s because you didn’t let your buddy snag bunker with it :)

I’m thinking your buddy breaking three BG 4000 handles while snagging bunker has vastly more to do with how he uses them to snag bunker and much less with any type of manufacturing defect :)

TimS

2 hours ago, TimS said:

I’m thinking your buddy breaking three BG 4000 handles while snagging bunker has vastly more to do with how he uses them to snag bunker and much less with any type of manufacturing defect :)

Hi Tim,

Those were my initial thoughts too, but after breaking the first one, he made sure not to touch the handle while doing the actual snagging. The second and third broke just while reeling---I believe the second went while retrieving a snagged bunker, the other on a fish. He's generally easy on his gear (a fair weather type, if I'm honest) and has never had any such issues with reels before, even with an old $40 Shimano Solstace that served him well for over 5 years on many bunker and stripers. The fact that this issue has now occurred to two anglers with the same size of the same model reel has me thinking that it's not just a coincidence. With a bit of searching, I'm sure we could find at least a few more instances of this with the 4000 BG. 

I've got nothing at all against the BG or Daiwa for that matter, even if this turned out to be a error on their part in the manufacturing process. A small variation in temper can be nigh impossible find in QC. Volvo just replaced my dad's car's entire engine without charge due to a minor finishing issue that lead to premature engine block wear. According to Volvo, this was not an isolated incident. If it can happen to cars, it can happen to $100 reels, and I wouldn't be surprised if the latter happened to me. It's been good to me so far, knock on wood.

Cheers, 

Dan

So I heard back from Daiwa, they’re sending me a new arm/handle.  Can’t complain about good customer service.  

Edited by ne_dan

1 hour ago, ne_dan said:

So I heard back from Daiwa, they’re sending me a new arm/handle.  Can’t complain about good customer service.  

Thats great service right there! Sending you a new handle without the  returning the old one. Enjoy that reel. The BG’s are great reels

10 hours ago, Jetex2801 said:

12660B43-4650-41E2-B685-4BFC9FF40958.jpeg.4f9705bb2398c21e5a83271df723fb5a.jpeg

For sure a defect, and it can happen to any reel. 

omg, is that Exist?

its painful to see that happen..

Edited by Tourstage
edited

1 hour ago, drumbum said:

Not to pile on...but....

How does a spool lip get beat up in one week?

Fishing on an old railroad bridge/jetty that’s at a 45 degree angle.  You can’t retie, unhook a fish, etc without the rod & reel touching a rock.  That was the whole reason for this reel, if it gets beat up it’s only a $100.

Edited by ne_dan