ne_dan

Daiwa BG Handle Break Off

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone have this happen?  I was out Tautoging today and in the middle of reeling in a fish the handles in my hand and the fish is in the rocks.  The reel is less then a week old and this was only the third time using it.  I’m assuming it was just a fluke, bad metal something like that.  It’s a BG4000.

AD7332D6-930B-4ADE-8D12-BBE9B678035F.jpeg

4E4DBF6F-F5C3-41FE-8213-360E9F70EF4D.jpeg

Edited by ne_dan

Dang, that sucks. Never seen that one before. I bet you could email daiwa and they'll send you a new handle. Or you could drill that stem out and put an aftermarket knob on. I like my gomexus knobs.

What Chitala said..   Drill it out.  Get a power knob.  Lots of videos online. Might be the best thing to happen to your BG.  

27 mins ago, Ivl said:

What Chitala said..   Drill it out.  Get a power knob.  Lots of videos online. Might be the best thing to happen to your BG.  

I don't agree, contact Diawa and make them do right by you, it may also give them a heads up on quality control. I've been using the BG5000 on Gator blues for the last few days and my handle better not break wrestling one of those yellow eyed demons! I wont be a happy camper if it does....

3 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Anyone have this happen?  I was out Tautoging today and in the middle of reeling in a fish the handles in my hand and the fish is in the rocks.  The reel is less then a week old and this was only the third time using it.  I’m assuming it was just a fluke, bad metal something like that.  It’s a BG4000.

AD7332D6-930B-4ADE-8D12-BBE9B678035F.jpeg

4E4DBF6F-F5C3-41FE-8213-360E9F70EF4D.jpeg

That's snazzy....very clean break....Definitely a defect.

Link this thread to daiwa in an email or call them.......No doubt in my mind you'll be taken care of.....Any reputable company will resolve that issue asap.

Plus there are always knobs you can buy from amazon or what not which all ya gotta do is drill out the remaining part of the rivet and screw in.  

And Glos randomly hates on things he has never used or seen first hand.......

no I dont

I know mechanism and how to judge them, generaly, all sorts

especialy reels as soon as I take them for a dry spin

its not hate it is not letting them get away with toys - cheap components

10 mins ago, glos said:

no I dont

I know mechanism and how to judge them, generaly, all sorts

especialy reels as soon as I take them for a dry spin

its not hate it is not letting them get away with toys - cheap components

So how else should 99 percent of the industry do their handles.  You realize it's the same for all modern reels right?  And the failure rate at this location under normal use has got to be in the. 00001% range.  So in you all knowing mechanism knowledge how should this part that never fails be improved... 

SMH

easy, a tad heavier metals

all over

they just dont need to chase lightenes together with cheapenes

and btw 100 dollars is by no means cheap

you can buy a bike for that amount

2 hours ago, prican1 said:

I don't agree, contact Diawa and make them do right by you.............

First, do this ^^^^^^, and get a new, standard handle on there.

2 hours ago, Ivl said:

Then, do this ^^^^^^^, and you'll have a spare with a power knob, or make it your primary, and keep the replacement as your backup.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Best bet is to go to where you bought it from with a receipt and try to swap it (transfer line to new spool or swap spools). 

If you get a new handle from Daiwa, and can keep you broken one, I have a new Gomexus power knob I’d be happy to send free to you since I don’t plan on using it. (It’s for a 5000 so you would want to check compatibility with your 4000)

PM me if you want it and I’ll send it over. 

Edited by PlumFishing

1 hour ago, glos said:

easy, a tad heavier metals

all over

they just dont need to chase lightenes together with cheapenes

and btw 100 dollars is by no means cheap

you can buy a bike for that amount

You ever try riding a $100 bike?

2 hours ago, Kapfish said:

You ever try riding a $100 bike?

doesnt matter

it has shimano gears

which by them selves count enough

and I know that serious manufacturers people read and post here so that is why I insist on some notes, and opinions

Thanks for the replies.  Strangely enough I had ordered a Gomexus knob the day I got the reel and realized how much I hated that handle.  I'm still going to contact Daiwa this morning and see what they say.  I really hope they just send a new arm, without having to mail anything back to them.  I'll keep this updated with what they say.