stateguy

Fat Tire Bike Set Up

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I work at bps and we recently just got these new electric fat bikes if you’re willing to dish out the 2500 they’re called quietcats. I test rode one and it was easily pushing 20mph on flat ground with 15ish going up semi steep hill. If i had the money and commitment i would for sure get one of these! 

13 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

I work at bps and we recently just got these new electric fat bikes if you’re willing to dish out the 2500 they’re called quietcats. I test rode one and it was easily pushing 20mph on flat ground with 15ish going up semi steep hill. If i had the money and commitment i would for sure get one of these! 

There are days where I think about that, but can't justify the cost. The cheapest Chinese models come in at $1,500. 

Might think about electrifying my Mongoose, has to be cheaper. 

On 5/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, stateguy said:

I know there a couple of topics posted about this lately

But I was wondering if anyone can show me some pictures or videos on how they set there bikes

what accessories they put on there bikes

What brands bikes

Any information would be great

I have a Motobecane Boris X5, super light for the price. I use a little rod holder that goes on the back, kinda like the pic below. But I cannot find the name of it anywhere. It's a little different. Then I use a backpack for my tackle. Anyway, bike is awesome for the money. I had the cheap mongoose and it was waaaaay too heavy. Actually I still have it but it sits in the garage.

81465.jpg

If I were to do this again, at a similar sub-$500 budget level, I would think about a bike I saw at Costco a few weeks ago. It was cheaper in the store and they had two in inventory at $330.

On the website, it is $350 with shipped but relative to what I paid for the Mongoose Hitch (not Dolomite) with he upgraded parts, worth it.

I can’t post the link here but you can find on Costco site. Details below and note the 32 pound weight out of the box. Not anorexic but at least 10 pounds lighter than the Hitch out of the box and still lighter than what my Hitch weighed after I initially swapped out tires, seat post, etc. The multiple hard points are an uptick from the single bottle mount on the ‘goose.

Northrock XC00 Fat Tire Bike

Your Price $349.99 Shipping & Handling Included*
Features:
  • Hand Built 6061 All-aluminum Alloy Press Formed Frame is Light and Responsive
  • Shimano Altus 7-speed Drivetrain for Precise and Consistent Shifting Performance 
  • Tektro Disc Brakes for Enhanced Stopping and Control
  • Kenda 26” x 4.0” Fast-rolling Tires Devour Obstacles and Improve Trail Control
  • Alloy Rims are Lightweight and Strong

NORTHROCK XC00 Fat Tire Bicycle

Introducing a real fat tire bike built for ultimate riding in any season. Totally versatile, the Northrock XC00 is extremely capable and tons of fun. NORTHROCK bicycles are built to be better. We build the best bike at an exceptional value, so you can have an enjoyable riding experience. Easy assembly; tools are included.

Specifications:

• Color: matte black
  • Frame: all-aluminum 6061, fat bike specific geometry, press formed aluminum frame for performance and lightweight, tapered head tube, fender and rack mounts, water bosses and replaceable derailleur hanger. Complete bicycle weight is 35.2 lbs.
  • Frame size: 18” fits most riders 5 ft 7” to 6 ft 2”
  • Headset: integrated, cartridge bearing, sealed, threadless
  • Cranks: alloy forged, 36T
  • Bottom bracket: sealed cartridge
  • Derailleur: Shimano Altus
  • Shifter: Shimano Altus SL-M310 rapid-fire
  • Cassette: Shimano (14-28T)
  • Chain: KMC Z7
  • Brakes: Tektro mechanical dual disc
  • Brake levers: Tektro alloy
  • Front hub: 32H alloy with quick-release, sealed bearing 
  • Rear hub: 32H alloy with quick-release, sealed bearing
  • Rims: alloy light weight, 32-hole
  • Spokes: Stainless-steel
  • Tires: Kenda fat mountain, 26” x 4.0”
  • Handlebars: NR 31.8mm low rise black alloy
  • Grips: Velo ergonomic dual density comfort grip
  • Stem: NR alloy sport
  • Seatpost: alloy adjustable 30.9mm with quick-release
  • Seat: Velo mountain performance
  • Kickstand: included (removal at rider’s option)
  • Assembly tools: included
  • Owner’s manual

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, SilverSpoonSurfer said:

that costco bike looks like a great deal.

I don’t own one, have never ridden one and have not inspected build construction closely. So my “analysis” is cursory at best.  

That said, when I lifted it my reaction was “No chit”. And yes, unless physical inspection showed bad weld quality or something, I would have bought that over the Mongoose. Even at $350, its feature set is still slightly better than my upgraded Hitch and it is at least 5-6 pounds lighter. 

Edited by tomkaz

From what i've read in a little research, just since you posted it, it may be a re branded GIANT frame. So shouldn't be bad at all, especially at that weight. I can't tell if my 600 dollar bike has the parts to make up the 250 dollar difference. But side by side specs, seems comparable.

Motobecan Boris X5 weighs around the same depending on options 35lbs

rame ALLOY 6061 FRAME, W/DISC MOUNT, TIG WELD, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, H2O bosses, Rear Rack Seatstay Brazeons, 170mm Symmetrical Rear triangle spacing
Fork 26" 25.4x28.6x30x250L Straight blade CRMO 1 1/8 W/DISC MOUNT ONLY
Forks are coming with brazeons/mounts as pictured on White bike (465mm Axle to Crown)
Crankset LASCO GOX 22/36T ALLOY BKx175MM ALLOY BLACK CRANK W/O CHAINCOVER
Bottom Bracket LASCO 100x1.37 BSA Standard English Threaded
Pedals VP-530 ALLOY BLACK W/CPSC REFLECTOR
Front Derailleur SRAM HIGH DIRECT MOUNT, CL-DDM 28.6 CLAMP+ADP-DDM-100MM
Rear Derailleur SRAM RD-X5 BLACK CAGE W/O BRACKET
Shifters SRAM SL-X5 TRIGGER 18-SP BLACK
Cassette/Freewheel SRAM PG-950 11-34T-9
Chain KMC X-9 STEEL NP/NP+CL-566R LINK
Hubs Front 14Gx32Hx135mm alloy BLACK,W/QR / Rear 14Gx32Hx170mm alloy BLACK
Spokes 14G STEEL STAINLESS W/BRASS NIPPLE
Rims 26"x32H WEINMANN HL-80 WIDTH 80MM W/BIG HOLES, ALLOY BLACK
Tires/Tubes 26"x4.0 30TPI F/V BigAdventures
Brakes TEKTRO NOVELA DISC BRAKE W/160MM ROTOR
Brake Levers TEKTRO ML-520 ALLOY BLACK LEVER
Headset VP-A42E BLACK W/M-1D ALLOY BLACK CAP
Handlebar KALLOY W:700MMx9 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
Stem KALLOY AS-007 EXT:80MM(15"~17")/90MM(19")/100MM(21")x7 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
Tape/Grip MTB BLACK
Saddle WTB SPEED V SPORT SE
Seat Post Alloy 30.4mm x 350MM, ALLOY BLACK aluminum
Seat Post Clamp ALLOY, Q/R
Sizes See Pull Down menu
Colors See Pull Down menu