stateguy

Fat Tire Bike Set Up

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I know there a couple of topics posted about this lately

But I was wondering if anyone can show me some pictures or videos on how they set there bikes

what accessories they put on there bikes

What brands bikes

Any information would be great

The bike is mostly stock except I set the rims up tubeless.  If I were to get another one (I have two other fat bikes).  Best bet though is to go to the local bike shop and try a few out.  If you are on Long Island I recommend Bicycle Playground in Huntington.  You can rent a fat bike there, demo it at Caumsett (fat biking paradise) and if you like it put the rental fee towards a new bike.

Here's my Motobecane Lurch. I have it setup 1x10 which reduces weight and complexity and provides gearing for any situation. My tires are 4.8" wide and setup tubeless. 

You'll need a fat bike specific rack. I use the Axiom Fatliner Rear Rack which was priced very well and works perfectly.

The crate I use is from Clevermade. It's collapsible (not that I ever collapse it) and is shorter than a standard crate so I don't catch my foot on it when mounting/dismounting. 

The rod tubes had sand spikes which I removed and cut down to size and painted black. I used those because the tubing is thinner and lighter than regular PVC. I screwed them into the crate on top and then to a bracket I made from aluminum stock on the bottom. You can't really see the bracket in the photo as it's painted black. 

You'll need a heavy duty, rear mounted kickstand and if you carry a lot, you'll need an auxiliary stand like the "Click Stand". You can use a tennis ball or glue a piece of plastic to the foot so it doesn't sink into the sand. I usually just find a flat rock on the beach and use that. 

Make sure you lock the brakes every time you stop or the bike may roll and tip over even with the kickstand down. The click stand comes with some heavy duty elastic bands that go around the brake levers or you can use pony tail holders.

There are lots of options out there but this is my setup. The bike is pretty rear heavy when loaded up but that's what the second kick stand is for.

I like FatBikerJoe's front rack setup but I would need to buy a new fork to do that and I like the light carbon fork I have on there now. 

Good luck.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

On 5/13/2019 at 5:06 PM, beerdoh said:

Here's my Motobecane Lurch.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

Nice set up, I also interested in getting a fat bike but what a good bike cost? At a first google search for a fat bike the first ones that show up are like $1500+ while a cheaper one like mongoose are about $300. 

I plan to use the bike on a specific stretch of a Maryland beach, can a bike hold up a good amount of weight (i.e. plugs, gear, rods, fish). Also, how comfortable is it while riding with waders on? 

You can get a good fat bike for around $800 - $1000. They can hold plenty of weight if you have a good rack. 

Riding in waders isn’t great in hot weather. Wearing bike shorts helps a lot if you plan to ride long distances. Make sure you keep an eye on the seat of your waders (inside and out). Mine appear to be delaminating inside so I put some patch material there. Good luck. 

Here are some photos of my Giant Simple single speed cruiser bike that is my primary fishing vehicle. Using a heavy duty aluminum rear rack, I have a rod holder on one side made of pvc and a open basket (designed to hold a paper grocery bag). I use it mostly for inshore and beach fishing down here in Florida. The bike is about $200 and works so-so on the beach. I just walk it through soft sand. It can easily carry a 12 pack or two large redfish. I usually carry a small amount of tackle when riding. The bike is about 20 years old, but still in production and readily available. 

Lessons learned: Make the rod holder as low as possible and angled back a bit so the rod is less likely to get tangled in low branches and will slide under when it makes contact. Use a clip and take lures off when riding any distance (the vibration will dislodge jigs from a hook keeper without you noticing it and snag people or shrubbery as you ride along). I mostly fish artificials, but I plan to add a second rod holder for a bait rod in the future.

94C9D048-C220-449E-84BD-1A358DF95CAE.jpeg

F5007C4F-DAEB-4CD6-8217-B70EFEA4E29C.jpeg

3C8C320E-25AF-43DA-8B03-DAC7BB760E37.jpeg

Just be careful about mounting the holders too low and too angled. Depending on geometry and rod length, the butt may hit your heels when pedaling. I only use the fat bike on the beach so not worried too much about clearance. Here it is loaded up. 

3935D9E7-2959-4B0A-850F-FD1415E362E3.jpeg

9DFA6D46-F4D1-45C0-AF11-13DD1B527BB9.jpeg

Road these down on the hard sands of North Brigantine this weekend. Was pretty friggen awesome TBH. God awful on Sugar but incredible on the hard stuff which those beaches still have. 

5C9C914C-5ADE-4542-81BD-CA77C7177C19.jpeg

I have a Mongoose that I bought when KMart was going out of business for about $200.   It looks pretty identical to FBJ's Surly.

What I did to modify mine for more comfort, was to put a set of Beach Cruiser handlebars and a padded, wide back seat with suspension.   So instead of riding hunched forward like a mountain bike, it now has a more upright posture, and rides like beach cruiser, with a super comfortable seat, instead of the nut-crushers that most bikes seem to come with nowadays.  Can ride all day without getting a sore crotch or shoulders.

I don't have any pics, but I'll take some and post later

On 6/28/2019 at 8:37 PM, rdiezel said:

Nice set up, I also interested in getting a fat bike but what a good bike cost? At a first google search for a fat bike the first ones that show up are like $1500+ while a cheaper one like mongoose are about $300. 

I plan to use the bike on a specific stretch of a Maryland beach, can a bike hold up a good amount of weight (i.e. plugs, gear, rods, fish). Also, how comfortable is it while riding with waders on? 

You should see if that 300 mongoose has gears. It may be single speed which could be hard on the sand. Setting up a fatbike tubeless is key. That way you can lower the psi without having to worry about pinch flats.