Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CcCstriper89

Pacific Halibut Question Ketchikan,AK

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Have any of you guys fished halibut out of Ketchikan or Seward? Cannot find much online besides actual charter boat websites. Leaving for a 7 day cruise; followed by 4 day land tour through Denali this sunday. I have been throwing around the idea of doing a charter one day while in Seward or Ketchikan. 

The season appears to be open while I am there but cannot find whether the fishing is sub par or very good during the end of May.

I am mostly looking for recommendations on Captains that are out there to target large halibut and have years of experience. Not boats running the smallest of baits to catch anything that bites. I wouldn't expect to catch giants but like charters at home; I am positive there are boats out there to just put fish on deck no matter what it is; and then boats that really know their fishing and know how to target higher quality fish.

8 mins ago, ksong said:

Check with Capt Andy of the Crackerjack out of Seward.

He is specialized big halibut for overnight trips.

Thanks I will take a look; I won't have overnights to fish though I will only be in each port for approx 8 hours. 

11 mins ago, ksong said:

Check with Capt Andy of the Crackerjack out of Seward.

He is specialized big halibut for overnight trips.

8 hours trip is tough to get big halibut unless you fish Yakutat where big halibut are very close to the port.

1 hour ago, Kml said:

He hasn't been around in the last 14 years.

You got the right guy?

Oops. I meant Michael P. No matter. Kil already commented. 

2 hours ago, ksong said:

8 hours trip is tough to get big halibut unless you fish Yakutat where big halibut are very close to the port.

That is also good information to know. I figured like most fish the big ones were not easy to come by. 

3 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

That is also good information to know. I figured like most fish the big ones were not easy to come by. 

It is like fluking. You can not expect to catch 8 plus lb fluke on one day trip. :)

No of course not but you can avoid the boats that don’t put in the effort to target the big ones; even if you do not catch them. Thanks for your help; if I end up doing a trip with anybody I’ll be sure to post pics.