this is scary

Rate this topic

our president literally has no idea how tariffs work-he has done some great things as president but his lack of knowledge on tariffs while we are engaging in a trade war is beyond scary as show by his most recent tweet listed below.  The tariffs are NOT being paid by China-they are being paid by the USA COMPANIES that are imported the goods. There is NO MONEY being paid by China.

Talks with China continue in a very congenial manner - there is absolutely no need to rush - as Tariffs are NOW being paid to the United States by China of 25% on 250 Billion Dollars worth of goods & products. These massive payments go directly to the Treasury of the U.S....

Just now, superstriper said:

yes how is it possible the guy heading our trade war and is putting tariffs in place does not understand how they work?

Ive seen no proof that this is the case.  

Anything else?

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

Just now, Flybyme said:

If the companies move here they will hire American workers, he is well aware of how they work and will take much needed biz from China.

no he is not aware-he says china is paying the 25% tariffs they are not-they are not paying one dollar of it-the importing companies in the USA are paying it

1 min ago, superstriper said:

no he is not aware-he says china is paying the 25% tariffs they are not-they are not paying one dollar of it-the importing companies in the USA are paying it

Quote please?  In context please?

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

12 mins ago, superstriper said:

sadly for trump kudlow had to admit the truth that anybody that took econ 101 knows in his interview with Fox news-China is not paying one dollar of these tariffs.

why does china have tarrifs on imports into their country.  Thats a good topic

I won't tolerate your intolerance, because I hate hate.

13 mins ago, superstriper said:

sadly for trump kudlow had to admit the truth that anybody that took econ 101 knows in his interview with Fox news-China is not paying one dollar of these tariffs.

Not that I am arguing for or against tarriffs

but people who took econ 101 "know" all sorts of stuff that they decide they didnt know once they take 102 and upwards.

For example people who learn econ learn that tarriffs are not meant to take money from China via paying tarrifs.  You should mull this over... the same argument you are making applies to corporate income taxes here... companies do not pay one dollar of corp income tax.  Are you in favor of dropping corp income taxes?  Why not?

Tarrifs cause market restructuring.  China will lose trade as relative prices of good made in various places change (due to tariffs ).  Once China loses orders they "pay"

Its not so simple as you lay it out.

I won't tolerate your intolerance, because I hate hate.