Striper46

Hobie outback weight distribution?

15 posts in this topic

Anything wrong with keeping 35lbs in the front hatch of a outback? It’s a battery box. Seems like it'll be fine maybe even beneficial for keeping the hull down when it’s choppy. Thx!

I wouldn't do it on my 2019. It’s a wet ride as it is. 1-2 ft bay chop and the bow is submarining while trolling at 2.2.-2.5 mph. This is of course without anything in the front section if the yak. I have 1 pelican case with my garmin battery that sits in the hull, just behind the box of the center hatch under my seat. The rest of the weight is behind me, and it will do as described above regularly. The only thing that is it’s saving grace is the ability to drain water rapidly through the drive hole.

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, FlounderWetspot said:

I wouldn't do it on my 2019. It’s a wet ride as it is. 1-2 ft bay chop and the bow is submarining while trolling at 2.2.-2.5 mph. This is of course without anything in the front section if the yak. I have 1 pelican case with my garmin battery that sits in the hull, just behind the box of the center hatch under my seat. The rest of the weight is behind me, and it will do as described above regularly. The only thing that is it’s saving grace is the ability to drain water rapidly through the drive hole.

hmmm I'm thinking your bow is digging in so much because you have to much weight toward the back, since there is no weight in the front and a lot in the back the bow rises higher and slaps harder when going thru waves, kinda like one person on a seesaw???? not sure tho

Edited by Striper46

35 lbs is to much weight in the front of an outback. It will be even more problematic in a 2019.

The small waves and chop easily flowing over the bow and flooding the cockpit is one of the reasons I havent upgraded. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Striper46, the lack of weight in Flounder wetspots front hatch should make situation better not worse, heavy bow weight can make a yak sluggish to “recover” or come back up between waves.

I don’t have a Hobie but have been in rough, short chop praying for the bow to come back up while watching  a wave coming, in an OK Trident Ultra which has an awesome bow.

Can you split the battery weight up, some up front some in rear?....Jack

Edited by Bulldog
Spelling

2 hours ago, Striper46 said:

hmmm I'm thinking your bow is digging in so much because you have to much weight toward the back, since there is no weight in the front and a lot in the back the bow rises higher and slaps harder when going thru waves, kinda like one person on a seesaw???? not sure tho

IMO, Too much weight  up front in probably any kayak will cause it to nose dive into chop.... Jeff is right about 35 lbs being too much weight up front, 

i use to store my batts. in hatch directly below me, worked well, kayak had good trim, didn't nose down..... cant do that any more on current kayak, i tried it up front once   no Bueno  ;)  (not in outback though) ... hence the battery box in the tank well ....

Thanks all!! seems like it's a hard no lol, glad i asked cause it didn't really seem like a big deal to me.:) I'm actually going to be removing my crate from behind me and bringing every thing to the cock pit and in the stow attached mid boat. Turning around is fine in good conditions but not great when rough. So I guess I'll put the box behind me, my only concern was the amount  of water that stays back there, about 3 inch at all times when its a little choppy. thx!

If you have similar weight behind the seat you will be ok, as long as your not approaching the yaks max capacity!  A bag of sand could level the playing field.

Wasn't there a video someone posted here complaining about the front Outback (new design) hatch leaking ? But the video also showed a bunch of stuff strapped on the bow of the yak during his surf launch. Seemed to explain the roots of his problem.

Didn’t Hobie come up with a free gasket kit to address the leaking? If not it’s an easy enough fix.

Yes, they released a kit. In that particular video the leak was substantial, but it seemed to be the result of overloading the front of the kayak.

Cliffwood Beach beading back to Union Beach, into a stiff breeze and steep chop, Outback with 6 x 30”+ Blues in the front hatch ... multiple occasions I didn’t think she was going to come back up after porpoiseing ... only ever have had one other experience worse. I don’t even put a pool noodle in the front hatch now ... just a cooler with some rehydration on top that I can deep six quickly and easily if necessary.

2 hours ago, Africaster said:

Cliffwood Beach beading back to Union Beach, into a stiff breeze and steep chop, Outback with 6 x 30”+ Blues in the front hatch ... multiple occasions I didn’t think she was going to come back up after porpoiseing ... only ever have had one other experience worse. I don’t even put a pool noodle in the front hatch now ... just a cooler with some rehydration on top that I can deep six quickly and easily if necessary.

wait, Heineken didn't counterbalance the blues?

On 5/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, cheech said:

Didn’t Hobie come up with a free gasket kit to address the leaking? If not it’s an easy enough fix.

The other the other day I had a Hobie large fish bag strapped on the bow, 10 -15lbs or so in it,  my (heavy) sonar battery in the front hatch, in medium chop. Quite surfy on the way out and in. Outback ‘19, with hatch seal fix. No issues at all. FWIW