Robbiethao10

why Is fishing getting so violent?

Rate this topic

140 posts in this topic

What’s wrong with people now? People getting so violent and territorial since the striped bass fishing blew up two years ago. People are throwing out threats, getting into brawls, pulling out weapons, etc. like guy it’s fishing  calm down. It’s public property. People can fish wherever they please whether you like it or not. If they want to fish next to you tough luck. Suck it up

Were you involved in, or witness, an altercation?

I gotta say, I've seen a lot...and had things resolve nicely, and had them get close to ugly. But, I've never had to drown another angler. It hasn't come to that, yet.

Two nights ago, a guy came into the river about 20 yards too close to me. He asked if I minded him being there. I said no, but could you give me 10 more yards? He said yes. I think we both used the word "sir". I don't know who the guy was, but I appreciated  2 things: he needed a spot in the river, and he was considerate in how he went about it. It wasn't a situation where you could get 50 yards to yourself, but 30 could be done

1 hour ago, Robbiethao10 said:

What’s wrong with people now? People getting so violent and territorial since the striped bass fishing blew up two years ago. People are throwing out threats, getting into brawls, pulling out weapons, etc. like guy it’s fishing  calm down. It’s public property. People can fish wherever they please whether you like it or not. If they want to fish next to you tough luck. Suck it up

must be a ditch troll

Never been in an altercation and hope never to be in one EVER! Have been involved in a couple last year but nothing happened other than exchange of words (threats coming from the other end but none from my end).

1- fishing at the canal I went to grab my pliers and when I went back to where I was fishing 3 guys jumped on it and wouldn’t move even after I asked politely. They ended up catching dinks on occasion while my buddy and I hit keepers every cast. Then they kept casting towards me so we cut their lines on occasion and they got pissed. 

2- guys were fishing a rotation during the fall run in a breachway. We fished off on the side and they started issuing threats about ripping our face off if we hit them with a plug. 

1 hour ago, Robbiethao10 said:

2 years ago? You must be new to fishing. 

8 mins ago, ferret said:

must be a ditch troll

I’m the kind of person I have no issues with people fishing within a few feet from me. I even invite people to do so when I know it’s crowded. I don’t own anything and it doesn’t bother me in the least as long as the person understands how to cast so we don’t tangle and has the courtesy of not casting when I hook up. 

2 mins ago, hydraman said:

2 years ago? You must be new to fishing. 

Been fishing my entire life. Never had an altercation or anything even remotely close to exchanging words until two years ago and it gets worse every year 

Oh toughen up, in Asbury Park we had to deal with the bloods and the crips strapped with 9mm in their waistbands, back when the fishing blew up

1 min ago, PlumFishing said:

Simple solution

A573FB82-E691-485F-8C37-A2406BD7C6BB.gif

Are we talking about using violence here based on that gif? I have no intention of harming anyone over trivial matters. Like dude it’s fishing.

2 mins ago, Robbiethao10 said:

Been fishing my entire life. Never had an altercation or anything even remotely close to exchanging words until two years ago and it gets worse every year 

It’s true people are becoming bigger asshats but always asshats around it don’t matter what location and timeline. 

4 mins ago, ferret said:

Oh toughen up, in Asbury Park we had to deal with the bloods and the crips strapped with 9mm in their waistbands, back when the fishing blew up

I don’t understand where you are getting at with your dumb irrelevant comment and reference. I have no intention of harming anyone for any reason over fishing. Stupid reason to kill someone

Guys getting pissed by idiots trying to jump into their footprints has been around since I started fishing hard in the early 1980's and I'll wager it wasn't much different in the 1880's

There's always that one a-hole in the crowd

Assshats were always around, but looks like, lately, they are showing , more and more, who and what they are.

In general, there is much more anger and violence in the people then before.

2 mins ago, hydraman said:

It’s true people are becoming bigger asshats but always asshats around it don’t matter what location and timeline. 

That’s very true. They’re gonna be everywhere you go. Doesn’t matter to me how rude people are and stuff. Say what you want and do what you want. It’s public property. I just have issues with people throwing out threats or doing stupid things and getting mad when it’s their fault their lines are being cut