wrangler508

Advice on a jack of all trades surf rod.

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, capecod said:

does cms have custom rods available to purchase at there store? I suppose then they wouldnt be custom.. just curious if they have rods you can check out there 

Yes

Let people say and think gsbs are outdated. Obviously a lot of folk on this thread disagree.

My suggestion is to think 2 rods and buy them used. Gsb 1321m and 1201L as a 10'....not cut. You can often find both used for 200 each.

The 10' for lighter offerings...the 11 for heavier.

They are not the lightest or most sensitive rods but are my choice and probably the best fish fighting blanks out there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last few years I used a 1201l, not cut down, for everything shore based. Worked fine. I built a light 8ft rod this year for the back bays and north shore of LI, but it wasn’t a necessity by any means.

Edited by C.Robin

If you already have a Canal setup then the only thing your missing is a lighter surf setup that can be used for schoolies and Albies.  A 2 piece Tsunami Airwave Elite 70/30 with a Daiwa Saltist Back Bay or Penn Slammer III would be my jack of all trades combo that doesnt break the bank. Spend the money you save on bucktails, SP minnows and epoxy jigs.  Enjoy.