wrangler508

Advice on a jack of all trades surf rod.

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I agree that there's no such thing as a single surf rod (or any tool, for that matter) that is optimized to every condition.  If I read the OP's post correctly, he is looking for a rod that would satisfice in many conditions.  (Kinda like an SUV, which won't win any sports car races, or be perfect for towing large boats, but it works pretty well 80% of the time.)

Would it be THE perfect rod for jigging the ditch with 5 oz, or casting 1 oz plastic swimmers?  Nope.  

Many of us have multiple rods, each of which is optimized for applications like jigging, tossing larger plugs, tossing little stuff for schoolies and albies, etc.

When I'm on the ditch I don't mind carrying two rods, one for jigging and one for plugging, because I know that I won't be walking very far.  In other places, carrying two rods can be a PITA, because I'm wading for 100-200 yards along a beach or boulder field fishing with one rod, then I have to hike back to retrieve my other rod.

Early last season I found a great deal on a first-gen ODM rod.  Sure, the sweet spot is about 2 to 3 1/2 oz, but I can toss SPs and fish jigs up to 4 oz with it.  For how I fish the ditch, it handles 80+% of what I need.  Same goes for breachways.

My friends who fish (hard) with the Lami GSBs all rave about them.

Unless it's the northshore LI, I'm grabbing my custom Lamiglas 1201m. Throws everything I need to, plenty of power, not heavy and takes a beating. I can throw plugs, bucktails, even small chunks. Eels in a pinch, but I save the 1201L for that.

46 mins ago, ged said:

I own a wrangler and my phone number starts with 508 so I will help:

I would go to CMS in New Bedford and have a custom Lamiglas 1201L made with 12” removed from the butt. A true custom rod for less than your budget that will handle anything the south shore or cape can offer. 

A cut down 1201L has been my main rod from cape beaches for the last few seasons and pretty much does everything I need it to. I built it myself, but I own another rod built by CMS and they will do a great job if that’s the route you decide to go. 

If you want something off the rack the Lamiglas Skinner rod is a 1201l cut to 9’2”.  It has an old school guide layout which I like, but if you want something different you may have to go custom. I’ve heard lots of good things about other manufacturers but the lami is the only one I’ve got first hand experience with. Good luck!

@wrangler508 Definitely go to CMS for one their GSB’s. I picked one up last year and kept going back to it again and again. IMHO it does a lot of things well rather than doing one thing very well. 

3 hours ago, wrangler508 said:

Thanks! I was leaning towards the gsb and happy to hear you're happy with it. I might consider a custom rod. I guess I should look into some local builders as well! 

Avoid fancy wraps and a custom rod is not too much different in price from the same blank as factory.

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

@wrangler508 Definitely go to CMS for one their GSB’s. I picked one up last year and kept going back to it again and again. IMHO it does a lot of things well rather than doing one thing very well. 

Which is a pretty valuable trait. Because a lot of times fishing, you throw bucktails, SPs, swimmers sluggos and even eels on the same trip. I do NOT carry more than one rod.

Posted (edited) · Report post

yes i agree with everybody else. try out cms great place and the owner/builder knows his stuff and really nice guy. personally love my gsb 1321m jack of all trades. does just about everything needed for the surf. just may be longer then what you want at 11'

Edited by dynasty

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

does cms have custom rods available to purchase at there store? I suppose then they wouldnt be custom.. just curious if they have rods you can check out there 

Yea and don’t be scared to cut 4-6” off the butt of 132-1m , build it light as possible .. throws sp and mag darters well and punches 3ozpencils and tins and bucks a mile .. 

2 hours ago, capecod said:

does cms have custom rods available to purchase at there store? I suppose then they wouldnt be custom.. just curious if they have rods you can check out there 

Yes they do.  Just don't expect to see any of them in late June because they'll be sold out.  

Edit:  You're correct in that they are not "custom-built" for you.

Edited by Southcoastphil

I always carry 3 rods when I go to beach.

A 2.5m for catching live bait

A 4.0m for bait (salted fillet mullet)

A 4.8m for live bait

The gsb 1201m is a great rod. Not the most sensitive rod but does everything pretty well. Ton of power and great warranty. I caution against high end rod companies with limited 1 year warranty. Doesn’t appeal to me that companies like CTS, ODM, Century, etc don’t seem to stand behind their products for the price they are asking. My two cents. Others may say otherwise due to better customer service experience from these companies but just my two cents

Lami is a great option as always. My NEX1-105 has tossed up to 4oz pencils on the high end and 3/4oz bucktails on the low end well enough. Everything in between is a breeze, and it's seen every environment except inlets. 

There’s a discussion of 9’6” rods in the this thread.  It includes a discussion on many 9’6” rods by me.  It might provide some color on some other rods which haven’t been mentioned yet. 

Edited by HKJonathan
Added link to old post