wrangler508

Advice on a jack of all trades surf rod.

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for a while and decided to make my first post. I spend most of time chasing stripers on the fly and jigging the canal. I own several fly rods but the only spinning rod I own is an 11' odm jigster for the ditch. I want to purchase a spinning rod to fish structure that I just can't with a fly rod and also to try new techniques to spice things up for me when I'm not at the canal. I mostly fish areas of fast current like chatham and want something that can handle heavier bucktails/live eels but also be able to cast lighter stuff like sp minnows. I also plan to use it on open beaches in the south shore. Just moved here and want to check out some spots closer to home in the Duxbury/Marshfield area. I know no rod will do everything perfect but I want a rod that can do most stuff decently well until I figure out what I specifically want in a rod. I drive a car and the largest 1 piece rod I can fit in there is 9'.  1 piece is not essential to me and I'm open to 2 piece suggestions but prefer something in the 9-10' range. $450 is my limit and I don't mind spending it for quality and a good warranty but if there is something on the less expensive side that would fit the bill I'd be happy to save the money. Been looking at the star stellar on the lower end and the lamiglass gsb on the higher end. I've also read that the gsb is outdated technology but I've read a lot of things on the internet and looking for some first hand experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lami GSB 1202M.

It's not outdated. It's awesome.

I asked a rod builder in RI...Ted Zack of Aquidneck Rods, what would be Jack of All Trades rod.  Same term you used.  Exactly the same use as you.  He said Lami GSB medium or a Century.  I had heard so much about GSB that I went with it.  Very happy with it after four years.  The M for me is better than the L.  I also needed a two piece for travel.

GSB1202M blank, really nice black ALPS real seat, Fuji lowrider guides, PacBac over spiral wrap cork tape for the handle...was about $320 as I remember it.  No fancy wraps.  To me, that was extremely  affordable for a custom rod.  Plus you get exact fit for you, exact guides and layout, etc, and get to talk shop with your builder which can be very useful information.

 

Are there lighter rods now? Sure. Do I care? No.  I'm in good health and I do not fish for 12 hours straight without a break  After fishing hard morning  and night sessions for a few days...I do not feel like the rod is causing me any pain or grief.  It's just plain good.

 

Good luck.

Edited by blackdogfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Ravens52988 said:

Heres some advice...

Theres no such thing as a jack of all trades surf rod.

I know this. I mentioned that in my post and also more specifically what I want to do with it. If you end up reading it and have some advice I'd appreciate hearing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice thing about the GSB two piece blanks is they are 50/50 split. Two sections at 5'.  Many two piece rods are a 70/30 split so you're not actually saving all that much space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

Lami GSB 1202M.

It's not outdated. It's awesome.

I asked a rod builder in RI...Ted Zack of Aquidneck Rods, what would be Jack of All Trades rod.  Same term you used.  Exactly the same use as you.  He said Lami GSB medium or a Century.  I had heard so much about GSB that I went with it.  Very happy with it after four years.  The M for me is better than the L.  I also needed a two piece for travel.

GSB1202M blank, really nice black ALPS real seat, Fuji lowrider guides, PacBac over spiral wrap cork tape for the handle...was about $320 as I remember it.  No fancy wraps.  To me, that was extremely  affordable for a custom rod.  Plus you get exact fit for you, exact guides and layout, etc, and get to talk shop with your builder which can be very useful information.

 

Are there lighter rods now? Sure. Do I care? No.  I'm in good health and I do not fish for 12 hours straight without a break  After fishing hard morning  and night sessions for a few days...I do not feel like the rod is causing me any pain or grief.  It's just plain good.

 

Good luck.

Thanks! I was leaning towards the gsb and happy to hear you're happy with it. I might consider a custom rod. I guess I should look into some local builders as well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Instead of spending $500 on 1 "do all" rod, get 2 rods for seperate applications

Certainly an option but like I said in my post I want a rod that can handle most things well until I have a better idea of what I want in the rod. Most of my fishing has been on the fly or chucking lead into the canal. Looking into branching out from what I am use to and a good overall rod to do that with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you needs a gsb 132-1m .. if I had to fish one rod everyday for the rest of my life it would be my pick .. which is why I fish one everyday for everything minus chunking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

42 mins ago, wrangler508 said:

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for a while and decided to make my first post. I spend most of time chasing stripers on the fly and jigging the canal. I own several fly rods but the only spinning rod I own is an 11' odm jigster for the ditch. I want to purchase a spinning rod to fish structure that I just can't with a fly rod and also to try new techniques to spice things up for me when I'm not at the canal. I mostly fish areas of fast current like chatham and want something that can handle heavier bucktails/live eels but also be able to cast lighter stuff like sp minnows. I also plan to use it on open beaches in the south shore. Just moved here and want to check out some spots closer to home in the Duxbury/Marshfield area. I know no rod will do everything perfect but I want a rod that can do most stuff decently well until I figure out what I specifically want in a rod. I drive a car and the largest 1 piece rod I can fit in there is 9'.  1 piece is not essential to me and I'm open to 2 piece suggestions but prefer something in the 9-10' range. $450 is my limit and I don't mind spending it for quality and a good warranty but if there is something on the less expensive side that would fit the bill I'd be happy to save the money. Been looking at the star stellar on the lower end and the lamiglass gsb on the higher end. I've also read that the gsb is outdated technology but I've read a lot of things on the internet and looking for some first hand experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

I own a wrangler and my phone number starts with 508 so I will help:

 

I would go to CMS in New Bedford and have a custom Lamiglas 1201L made with 12” removed from the butt. A true custom rod for less than your budget that will handle anything the south shore or cape can offer. 

Edited by ged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Sounds like you needs a gsb 132-1m .. if I had to fish one rod everyday for the rest of my life it would be my pick .. which is why I fish one everyday for everything minus chunking 

Thanks for the input! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, ged said:

I own a wrangler and my phone number starts with 508 so I will help:

 

I would go to CMS in New Bedford and have a custom Lamiglas 1201L made with 12” removed from the butt. A true custom rod for less than your budget that will handle anything the south shore or cape can offer. 

Haha howdy partnah! Thanks, I just was recommended by an old timer that I fish the canal with to check out CMS. I think I'm going to take a ride down there this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.