bob_G

Canal signs

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

I've discussed this with the ACOE several times. 

They have "do and don't" signs for everything all along the canal. Some in several languages. Wouldn't you think it would be a good idea to place some basic fishing regulation signs along the canal? I.E.:

1. Saltwater licence required.

2. Minimum length striped bass 28".

3. Daily possession limit, 1 fish.

To my way of thinking this would be a step in the right direction and help eliminate some confusion.

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

To my way of thinking this would be a step in the right direction and help eliminate some confusion.

It certainly wouldn't do any harm, Bob.  Was the ACOE receptive to this when you spoke with them?

In addition to English, what other languages would you suggest on said signage?  

I think the signs would be a great idea, but I think it would be more appropriate if done/paid for by the State, and not the ACOE.

41 mins ago, Jonesy02719 said:

I think the signs would be a great idea, but I think it would be more appropriate if done/paid for by the State, and not the ACOE.

I would have to agree Jonesy after all it is the State regulation that we are attempting to enforce. back in another time when we addressed the same thing and  that was what I was told they would go along with . State supply the signs and they supply the space to install it. Then again nothing is stoping anyone from voluntarily making up the signs and posting them on the telephone poles in plastic containers after they obtain the Corps permission. :howdy:

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

It certainly wouldn't do any harm, Bob.  Was the ACOE receptive to this when you spoke with them?

As far as languages Joe, that could be the proverbial slippery slope.  Any language beyond English could be perceived as singling out one particular ethnic or user group.

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

As far as languages Joe, that could be the proverbial slippery slope Any language beyond English could be perceived as singling out one particular ethnic or user group.

Bingo.  :th:

And although your suggestion is an excellent one, the above will be the reason why it will not be instituted. 

Slippery slope indeed.

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Joe as of late in some places they have signage in Spanish as well as English I thought I saw one some where where there was third language not sure what that was 

11 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe as of late in some places they have signage in Spanish as well as English I thought I saw one some where where there was third language not sure what that was 

Carl.....I'm guessing the fastest growing immigrant groups hereabouts are Latino's and Asians.  So I suspect that third language could very well be one on the Asian languages.

This is exactly the sort of thing that anglers like us should be able to organize and get done.

You could make two or three versions of the signs,  Each one with three or four languages.

Perhaps if we got acoe permission, maybe we could write a grant to defray the printing costs?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Why don't they just make a picture of it with 28" measurement and states 1 fish. A picture is worth a thousand words. That can go along with all other fishes requirements.

Edited by foxfai

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

I would have to agree Jonesy after all it is the State regulation that we are attempting to enforce. back in another time when we addressed the same thing and  that was what I was told they would go along with . State supply the signs and they supply the space to install it. Then again nothing is stoping anyone from voluntarily making up the signs and posting them on the telephone poles in plastic containers after they obtain the Corps permission. :howdy:

Don’t know about MA, but in CT the phone company owns the poles and you need their permission to put anything on them. Technically even the lost dog/cat signs are illegal.

16 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Don’t know about MA, but in CT the phone company owns the poles and you need their permission to put anything on them. Technically even the lost dog/cat signs are illegal.

Mike I believe it to be the same here as well, however those that are on the Government property may not be , I will try and find out as this may be a nice way of solving a problem among those who fish, fairly inexpensive.

I don't mean to sound like a downer but,

just more signs that will be ignored?

What's really needed to fix the last couple of years of stupid at the canal is a year or two of old style normal fishing at the canal.