isleomaniac

Worm Hatch #5

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

5/18/19  Worm Hatch #6:  Today I was jumping out of my boots with anticipation for hopefully another worm hatch, especially after 6 days of cloudy, cool and rainy weather that dropped the water temps below 60˚.  The weather turned favorable just in time for the next high tide cycle.  Today’s high tide was at noon, and with a full moon as well.  So I dug deep into my notes and stat sheets from past years to see what would be possible today.  I had two locations that took place on a full moon with a noon high tide, and that also started as early as 4 pm.  One location was in a backwater bay, but it may have already happened there during worm hatch #5?  The other location was in the far backwater cove of a salt pond at the mouth of two salt marsh ditches.  For a change, I wanted to check water temperatures at two locations before I met my buddy bill at 3:30.  When I got to the ditch at 3 pm, there were worms already streaming out with the tide, headed for the salt pond.  At the mouth of the ditch there were a couple of stripers already swirling.  Three o’clock is now the earliest hatch that I have found.  The water temperature in the ditch was 72˚, with 67˚ in the salt pond.  I met Bill at 3:30 and we headed to the first location on my schedule, using the ditch site as our backup plan.  Since we didn’t find anything at our first location, we left there at 4:30 and headed for the ditches for a sure thing.  Starting at 5 pm, we cast to reluctant stripers, I started out with the Page Rogers worm fly and couldn’t get a hit, so I started using a two-fly rig and began getting a few hookups on the sinking dropper fly.  For the dropper I was using my pink DNA fly, and for the trailing fly my semi-floating Woody’s Whisker Worm.  By 6 pm, I had landed 6 fish, 3 on each fly.  At 6:15, now with the sun sinking lower in the sky, the fish started hitting aggressively and I was able to catch and release 6 more.  I left at 6:45, after a very satisfying outing on a beautiful day. 

Worm Hatch Inspector

DSCF6247S.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/19/2019 at 0:16 PM, isleomaniac said:

5/18/19  Worm Hatch #6:  Today I was jumping out of my boots with anticipation for hopefully another worm hatch, especially after 6 days of cloudy, cool and rainy weather that dropped the water temps below 60˚.  The weather turned favorable just in time for the next high tide cycle.  Today’s high tide was at noon, and with a full moon as well.  So I dug deep into my notes and stat sheets from past years to see what would be possible today.  I had two locations that took place on a full moon with a noon high tide, and that also started as early as 4 pm.  One location was in a backwater bay, but it may have already happened there during worm hatch #5?  The other location was in the far backwater cove of a salt pond at the mouth of two salt marsh ditches.  For a change, I wanted to check water temperatures at two locations before I met my buddy bill at 3:30.  When I got to the ditch at 3 pm, there were worms already streaming out with the tide, headed for the salt pond.  At the mouth of the ditch there were a couple of stripers already swirling.  Three o’clock is now the earliest hatch that I have found.  The water temperature in the ditch was 72˚, with 67˚ in the salt pond.  I met Bill at 3:30 and we headed to the first location on my schedule, using the ditch site as our backup plan.  Since we didn’t find anything at our first location, we left there at 4:30 and headed for the ditches for a sure thing.  Starting at 5 pm, we cast to reluctant stripers, I started out with the Page Rogers worm fly and couldn’t get a hit, so I started using a two-fly rig and began getting a few hookups on the sinking dropper fly.  For the dropper I was using my pink DNA fly, and for the trailing fly my semi-floating Woody’s Whisker Worm.  By 6 pm, I had landed 6 fish, 3 on each fly.  At 6:15, now with the sun sinking lower in the sky, the fish started hitting aggressively and I was able to catch and release 6 more.  I left at 6:45, after a very satisfying outing on a beautiful day. 

Worm Hatch Inspector

DSCF6247S.jpg

I found my first worm hatch it was after dark Saturday night in an isolated salt pond.  Was out fishing herring runs for stripers and there are some adjacent salt ponds so decided to check them out last minute.  I could see very minor surface disturbances in the full moon's light and upon investigating with my headlamp I saw worms were swimming on the surface.  I never would have thought to look for this before reading your book.  It was exactly in the type of area you said should have some of the initial hatches as my water temp is much colder up here in Boston than down on the Cape.  I found fish swirling and feeding at the outlet to the main estuary.  I did not have any worm flies on me because the investigation was a spur of the moment decision. So I was very unprepared and decided to focus my efforts on the original plan which was target the bass eating herring with large herring flies and managed to get this fish.  It was very cool to see my first worm swarm going to try and get out tonight and see if I can find another one in the same location.  Tied up some worm flies this morning not perfect but they are going to have to do.

36 inch striped bass.jpg

Edited by The Graveyard Shift