amigo70

Penn Spinfisher 4500 BLS problem

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Greetings all.

Was able to try out my new bailess Penn 4500 yesterday and while its overall a fantastic little reel, I did notice a bit of a problem.

When I raise my arm to cast and the reel is in motion, I notice the handle and rotor will sometimes move. This would sometimes allow the roller to come back around and catch my line mid cast. We all know what that means.

The handle and roller are in the correct positions before casting.

I have other bailess reels including a 706 greenie where this problem does not occur.

Does anyone else experience this with the newer Penn bailess reels. Any solutions to this or did I just get a lemon?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

5 mins ago, amigo70 said:

Greetings all.

Was able to try out my new bailess Penn 4500 yesterday and while its overall a fantastic little reel, I did notice a bit of a problem.

When I raise my arm to cast and the reel is in motion, I notice the handle and rotor will sometimes move. This would sometimes allow the roller to come back around and catch my line mid cast. We all know what that means.

I have other bailess reels including a 706 greenie where this problem does not occur.

Does anyone else experience this with the newer Penn bailess reels. Any solutions to this or did I just get a lemon?

Thanks in advance.

It is a matter of balance and by removing the complete arm so goes the balance Is your reel designed with a manual bail or is this one you changed? Is there a screw and weight on the opposite side of where the line is retrieved? Please put up a picture of the head and bailess mechanism The inertia of casting can be a troubling thing on a spinning reel at times

4 mins ago, ASrod said:

That happened with my old SSV6500bls so I packed it with grease to slow down the gears and then it was fine.

That for sure would be one way to take care of the rotating head while casting

2 hours ago, amigo70 said:

Thanks for the replies.

The grease sounds like a good solution. I suppose I should use Penn grease?

Yeah... A few years ago a rep told me that using anything else would void the warranty. Maybe they changed the regulation since then but I’m not sure.

7 hours ago, amigo70 said:

Greetings all.

Thanks in advance.

Yes. I started using the 4500BLS this season, I love it, wish I switched to BLS sooner. I noticed the parts moving after I snapped off a plug when the line got caught on the moving roller, (I think it's orbiting Earth as we speak). I just make sure the handle is in the 6/7 o'clock position. *And I started putting my hand up on the rod one finger more than usual when casting to keep the line above the roller.* No issues since. 

Yup. I bought one a couple months ago and it has been consistently spinning during the cast and has cost me a plug and a couple bucktails. I have been fishing bailess for many years with a 706, a 704 and a 710 with bailess conversions, a VR 150 set up bailess, a Penn Torque bailess (no longer own), and a Daiwa whisker home-made bailess. None of these other reels spin when I cast with the handle in the "down" position, only this new one. I'm dealing with it, but it may break the deal for me. Maybe I'll try the grease trick, but isn't that going to make my reel stiff all the time? 

Yup. Packed grease will slow down the motion so the rotor doesn’t turn while casting but I think it will still be smooth. 

Seems to be the go-to solution for this problem. 

I contacted Penn but they haven’t responded. 

I also have had this problem with the 6500BLS. TBH, it’s a big reason I stopped using it. I was getting by for a while by using really heavy braid so it doesn’t cast off when it would catch, and also by putting my casting release finger way up on the rod above the top grip section. 

I think eventually i would have become better at lining up the handle and the line roller in better spots to lessen the likelihood of the line catching, but it was not worth the trouble and I went back to using a standard spinner with a bail. 

Switching to to a smaller sized Shimano made me realize just how damn heavy the SSV was in comparison. The new SSVi is supposed to be much lighter so that’s probably not a motivating factor here. Still, I would consider using the bailed version if it keeps up. (Or converting back if it was a conversion kit.) I use my SSV BLS now for occasional/rare chunking purposes. 

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 0:14 PM, amigo70 said:

Greetings all.

Thanks in advance.

always remember this,,factory greasing is always nil!.

they don't want to give you too much,just a little.open it up and slap some grease in there.

I'll bet there is a pinky fingers worth in the whole reel.

as stated,that will stiffen up the gearing and make it move less as well as make it even smoother.

HH