Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1Cast 1Fish

Rod & Reel Opinions

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I currently have a Penn Slammer 3 (5500) and a (8500)  no rods yet.   I am in the market for 1 more reel and can not decide on another 5500 or 8500.

I am looking at the Penn Carnage line of surf rods to pair with the 3 reels.

I currently do not surf fish much and am definitely a beginner as far as surf knowledge.  I am an avid freshwater fisherman, with plenty of experience. 

I am looking for the best size for the surf in Virginia Beach, OBX, and Myrtle Beach areas mainly. I plan to be slinging bait into the surf, and doing some pier fishing as well.  The plan would be to target big Reds, rays, sharks, or whatever from the surf or piers.  

I am leaning towards another 5500 since I can toss one on for casting metal and such if I want as well.

Here is what I am thinking:

Penn Slammer (8500) with 50lb braid and 12' Carnage Heavy  for 8 n bait surf casting for Big Reds or Shark

Penn Slammer (5500) with 20lb braid on 10' Carnage Med Heavy for Big Reds and smaller surf fish

Any expert opinions before I drop some major $$$ and end up not happy.

Edited by 1Cast 1Fish

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would go with another 5500 and also step up the line's breaking strength to 30lb.  If your desire line is 20lb, the 4500 would also be a good option paired with a 9'.  Plenty of drag for anything you catch in the surf.

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

Go with the 5500 size but go with the SSVI longcast 5500. 

I have my 5500 Longcast mated to a 10’ Carnage II 1-5. This combo is awesome and very versatile. I used this combo in the OBX last fall. Throws metal and plugs very well, and works perfect for a lighter weight and bait setup for puppy drum and whiting. Dont be fooled, this combo can handle big fish! 

Go SLA III 4500. Its pairs with almost everything I own. I enjoy the smaller size and weight. 

I have never wished I had a bigger reel while out with the 4500.

Go and check it out on a rod. Bring your 5500 with you and try both on the same rods............ and others.

So does the 5500 with 30lb powerpro and a 10ft Carnage seem adequate for surf fishing the point at OBX for big reds...just want to be able to hang with everyone lined up on the beach. I would think the 10ft would also be castable for metal and plugs as well.

7 hours ago, 1Cast 1Fish said:

So does the 5500 with 30lb powerpro and a 10ft Carnage seem adequate for surf fishing the point at OBX for big reds...just want to be able to hang with everyone lined up on the beach. I would think the 10ft would also be castable for metal and plugs as well.

The 10 footer is more than adequate to handle big Reds from the surf. It’s a good metal/plugging, light bait rod. If you need to throw 7-8n bait, you’ll need to move up to one of the larger sizes.

10 hours ago, Grayson said:

You don't fish braid in obx for old drum, good way to get in a fight if there's anyone around.

Really?  Seems to me tons of people are using braid now for freshwater...is it really that frowned upon that they would really get that angry?

7 hours ago, Grayson said:

Any kind of a crowd drum fishing braid is a no no, even where I'm at everyone uses mono for the most part.

Ok....thats good info to know.  Guess I should hit the 8500 then if mono is gonna be needed.