R.R. Bridge Fisher

Ultra light thoughts

35 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I've been using these little barbless inlines with great success so far.  Could it be that the short rod and braid don't provide enough shock absorption and the hook is just getting yanked out?  I usually use 4# nanofil, peoples definition of ultralight is always different I would never consider 8# ultralight.

IMG_20190503_123535.jpg

Do you recall the size of those hooks?

Set the drag so that it doesn't give on the hook set.  using 8# line for panfish you should have the drag set just under the breaking point of the leader.  On small light outfits I set mine very tight and back reel when I think a fish it going to pop the line which is very rare unless a good size bass or pickerel hits me.  I keep the anti reverse on until I need to back reel and then its just a finger flick.  Some folks use the index finger to hold the spool from spinning and keep it off most of the time but that didn't work for me.

4 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

I've been using these little barbless inlines with great success so far.  Could it be that the short rod and braid don't provide enough shock absorption and the hook is just getting yanked out?  I usually use 4# nanofil, peoples definition of ultralight is always different I would never consider 8# ultralight.

IMG_20190503_123535.jpg

Have you noticed any difference in the swimming action of the plugs after changing out the trebles with single hooks? I tried that on my Rapalas and it made a big difference in the swimming motion which made them less effective. Even changing out just one of the trebles, either one, had a negative effect. 

9 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

IMG_20190503_123535.jpg

The lure on the bottom right is the exact lure I had in mind when I mentioned damaging lips.   

I really like what you did above...   Looks like it'd be much better than the hooks I switched to and far better than clipping a point off of a treble.

7 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Have you noticed any difference in the swimming action of the plugs after changing out the trebles with single hooks? I tried that on my Rapalas and it made a big difference in the swimming motion which made them less effective. Even changing out just one of the trebles, either one, had a negative effect. 

not really noticeable i guess..

8 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

No problems here

My experience with UL rods is you really need to pay attention to hook size, diameter, barb size.

It's very difficult to set past the barb if its anything more than a micro barb on most trebles on a tru ultralight setup.

And a 4 footer plus mono means you gotta fight the bend and stretch with a short rod......Which would take a big hookset.  I have a few ultralights I find if i get hit any time other than hangin in current..I gotta really set home on plugs otherwise they'll shake the hooks or be more l ikely too.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:53 AM, CoffeeHangover said:

IMG_20190503_123535.jpg

I have been switching out all my treble hooks too (and I always crush the barbs on freshwater gear since I always catch and release in freshwater). Haven't noticed a ton of difference on how the lure moves but a lot less injuries to the fish and my fingers.