R.R. Bridge Fisher

Ultra light thoughts

35 posts in this topic

I was in the kayak the other day and ran into this.

I was using a 4' rod with 8# braid and the smallest spoons. The hooks were new.

I hooked many fish and they all threw the hook.

3 trout,perch pickeral and a large bass around 5 pounds jumped and threw the spoon.

I kept the rod as tight as i could i tried to scoop a few fish with a net. At first i thought the hooks were messed up and put a duplicate spoon on with the same results.

I ended up with a much bigger spoon with a hook twice the size and the fish held but strikes were fewer.

I messed with my drag towards the end and was wondering if it would be better to run the drag tighter or looser?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an avid ultralight fisho in my local lake, my advise is switch to mono, maybe 4-6 pound test and a 10 pound leader. The mono stretch will help a lot those small hooks to hold on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rafael said:

As an avid ultralight fisho in my local lake, my advise is switch to mono, maybe 4-6 pound test and a 10 pound leader. The mono stretch will help a lot those small hooks to hold on.

I used 4# mono for years, I just switched to braid this season.  I like the strength & casting but this is new and not good losing the big bass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rafael said:

As an avid ultralight fisho in my local lake, my advise is switch to mono, maybe 4-6 pound test and a 10 pound leader. The mono stretch will help a lot those small hooks to hold on.

I' agree. Mono will forgive you much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm thinking head shake and a terminal tackle issue.

Is there a difference between the two lures?

 

BassLure1s.jpg

 

krocodile_hero.jpg?sw=1000

Edited by SandSpike1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I was in the kayak the other day and ran into this.

I was using a 4' rod with 8# braid and the smallest spoons. The hooks were new.

I hooked many fish and they all threw the hook.

3 trout,perch pickeral and a large bass around 5 pounds jumped and threw the spoon.

I kept the rod as tight as i could i tried to scoop a few fish with a net. At first i thought the hooks were messed up and put a duplicate spoon on with the same results.

I ended up with a much bigger spoon with a hook twice the size and the fish held but strikes were fewer.

I messed with my drag towards the end and was wondering if it would be better to run the drag tighter or looser?

it always always always happen to me when im on ultra light stuff..always in the midst of a fight and the hook just come off no matter how hard i try to set..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what rod you are using But that may be a factor as well.  I like a fast action rod.  The tip flexes for casting and the backbone allows a better hook set.  If you are losing fish on jumps or right at the boat chances are its a bad hookset because the rod flexes too much.  You may only be getting the tip of the hook in and not the barb so when there is a tiny bit of slack the hook drops out.  Ugly Sticks are notorious for this as are lots of the mushy ultralight rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, flyman28 said:

I don't know what rod you are using But that may be a factor as well.  I like a fast action rod.  The tip flexes for casting and the backbone allows a better hook set.  If you are losing fish on jumps or right at the boat chances are its a bad hookset because the rod flexes too much.  You may only be getting the tip of the hook in and not the barb so when there is a tiny bit of slack the hook drops out.  Ugly Sticks are notorious for this as are lots of the mushy ultralight rods.

yea my rod tip is really soft to give a hard hookset especially its extra fast action..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, flyman28 said:

I don't know what rod you are using But that may be a factor as well.  I like a fast action rod.  The tip flexes for casting and the backbone allows a better hook set.  If you are losing fish on jumps or right at the boat chances are its a bad hookset because the rod flexes too much.  You may only be getting the tip of the hook in and not the barb so when there is a tiny bit of slack the hook drops out.  Ugly Sticks are notorious for this as are lots of the mushy ultralight rods.

This is correct. A soft rod is no good for lures. You need a fast action to set the hook properly. Moderate action softer rods are ok for drifting bait so you don't yank the hook out of the fish's mouth on the hookset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found tiny trbles to be really good at destroying a small panfishes mouth.    Hook a top and bottom lip... ugh.   Almost all of my tiny lures have one of the 3 hook points snipped off now.  I really dislike the tiny trebles that come on the smallest UL lures.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, flyman28 said:

I don't know what rod you are using But that may be a factor as well.  I like a fast action rod.  The tip flexes for casting and the backbone allows a better hook set.  If you are losing fish on jumps or right at the boat chances are its a bad hookset because the rod flexes too much.  You may only be getting the tip of the hook in and not the barb so when there is a tiny bit of slack the hook drops out.  Ugly Sticks are notorious for this as are lots of the mushy ultralight rods.

The rod is a 4' custom little lami.

It is softer not so fast action,

How should drag be set from your experience?

I'm going to make a few casts in a bit from the shore with a bigger lure. 

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 55555s said:

I have found tiny trbles to be really good at destroying a small panfishes mouth.    Hook a top and bottom lip... ugh.   Almost all of my tiny lures have one of the 3 hook points snipped off now.  I really dislike the tiny trebles that come on the smallest UL lures.  

I've been using these little barbless inlines with great success so far.  Could it be that the short rod and braid don't provide enough shock absorption and the hook is just getting yanked out?  I usually use 4# nanofil, peoples definition of ultralight is always different I would never consider 8# ultralight.

IMG_20190503_123535.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This line is very thin to me.

It got stuck in between the split ring.

I find it very hard to see when tying.

It is my first season switching from 4# mono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.