Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnbull

Rod/Reel for Casting Lures in Surf

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So Fathers Day is coming up, and I'm thinking of asking for a rod and reel for casting for blues and spanish in the the surf.  What suggestions do y'all have?  I've got a heaver and something else for tossing bottom rigs, but this is strictly for casting metal in the surf.  Rod brand and length, conventional or spinning?  Thanks!

10' tica tc2 with a abu 6500 c3 is a lot of fun for me. But there are probably other setups that can get your lure further out there. 

I prefer what Drumfish420 is suggesting.  I have two "salmon rods" that I use.  One is 8'6" and the other is 10'.  When wanting to get things out as far as possible, the 10' is used more.  The 8'6" is short enough to use on piers and in the sound, but still functions well for sending metals.  Kind of an all around rod.  I use it for trolling in PA too.  The 10' doesn't get any use besides salt and too long to use for more than this (although, I will use for mullet/flounder/etc. small surf fish but other rods are better suited for that).  I have some other surf rods that I have used before, but they are too bulky to cast for more than 1/2 hour and too fast action tip that doesn't load with the relatively lighter weight lures, that the salmon rods do.  Granted, the salmon rods are pretty much worthless, if you want to cast 6" plugs in NJ or 4 oz of lead and a fish head.  For those, I would recommend something a bit faster action, more surf rod style.

Search "salmon rods", and keep an eye on what 420 noted about the lure rating.  Most salmon rods are lighter action (only rated to 3/4 oz or less), and might break a tip if loading it up with a 2oz. Stingsilver or whatever you are throwing.  You want to be able to cast as hard as you can, and not fear breaking it, if you see a school busting just out of reach...  Unfortunately, most rods don't advertise their "sweat spot" weight, where the rod seems to load perfectly at.  Usually somewhere in the middle of their advertised lure ratings though.

Or, check out the NC bait shops and see if some of the custom rods are in your price range.  For me, using only 10 days or so per year, isn't worth the custom rod prices.  If you are using 50-60 days per year, then well worth it.  Some of those guys spent years developing rods specifically for that sort of fishing.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:45 PM, johnbull said:

So Fathers Day is coming up, and I'm thinking of asking for a rod and reel for casting for blues and spanish in the the surf.  What suggestions do y'all have?  I've got a heaver and something else for tossing bottom rigs, but this is strictly for casting metal in the surf.  Rod brand and length, conventional or spinning?  Thanks!

I am using an Okuma SST graphite with an Abu 6500 both the chrome rocket and the pro rocket. I think its the 8'6 model.  The rating for the SST I believe is MGH, I would have to check at home, but I think the max rating is either 4 or 6 oz. It sounds like it should be a stiff rod, but it's not. 

The rod has a good amount of flex making it ideal to throw out metals, and I would guess that from 1/2 to 2 oz should be a good range for you.

I've had a lot of luck with this combo, especially with blues and spotted trout.  

A lot of guys here say good things about Omoto. I haven't bought one. Jerry Foran has, or had two, Omoto reels equivalent to the Abu 6500's for bargain basement blow out prices. He has been very good to do business with and his address is hookless. 

Now, I do use the levelwind models in the surf.  There are some drawbacks, first is the fact if you aren't careful, sand grains can wreck your worm gear. 

For spinning for these types of fish with metals, I go with the 9' Penn prevail rod or Okuma Cedros CSX, and currently a Penn Slammer 460, or the extremely budget friendly Okuma Avenger in the 40 size.  Don't count on the Avenger being a survivor long term, but if you were ever worried about theft or sloppy maintenance then this reel is for you. 

For these fish, I've had much more luck with bloody fresh bait, meaning a bait fish being cut up for bait and used minutes after it was sacrificed, and a shiny metal flasher.  Cast out, let sit, jig up and retrieve, let sit, repeat, until "bang" rod tip jerks down hard.

id go ten ft....id go spinning....and bc u state blues and Spanish a reel w a high inches per turn.....conventional reels are usually pretty slow....

If you don't mind spending some cash talk to Ryan at Hatteras Jack's. He spun me up an 8 1/2 foot SS spinning rod with split cork handle that's great for anything from an oz.and a half down and a 9' KNE conventional with cork handle like a musky or salmon rod for up to about 4 oz. Both Century's. They both work great in the surf and up here in sweet water. I didn't mind spending the money on those rods knowing I'd use them in both places. My heavers are Penn's. Tight lines

I'll put in a plug for the Carolina Cast Pro, 10ft, 1-4oz rod matched up with a spinning reel of your choice and 15 lb braid. It will sling a metal a Hatteras mile.... 

I’m with Byron on the Carolina Cast Pro 10’, mine is paired with a Shimano Ultegra which is designed for long casting and balances great with this rod. My other favorite metal rod is a 9’ St Croix Mojo Surf with a Shimano Stradic.  Paired with 15 lb braid both with sling it. I love my conventionals but IMO spinning reels handle the lighter 1-2 oz sting silvers and ES lures better. Also both these rods double for light bottom fishing surf or sound. 

X3 on the Carolina cast pro 10' 1-4oz Rod. Will throw 2oz stingsilvers out of sight. Mine is spinning, and as already stated is an excellent bottom fishing rod when not throwing metal.