Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt7082

Bonafide

5 posts in this topic

Seriously looking at Bonafides. They’ve been around for a little bit now and I’m looking for some feedback. Everyone on YouTube seems to use them only on flat calm lakes. I mainly plan to use it in the same application, however, I also want to bring it out for some shallow water bay fishing. The bays can get pretty gnarly at times, and you’re also dealing with tide and current. 

I paddled one at a demo the other day, and it paddled surprisingly well. My main concerns are how it handles waves over the bow, and just dealing with rough water in general. I know it catches wind worse than most boats, but I’m not too concerned with it. The boat I paddled had new prototype fins on the back of the hull which prevent it from spinning at drift in the wind and also helps it track really well. I was very impressed with how well they worked. 

Just looking for for some feedback from some folks who perhaps use it in other water besides calm lakes. I would also be interested in floating down a river, if possible. Thanks! 

I never tried it but it sounds like you already know how it's going too perform in unfavorable conditions. Tugboats in flat calm rule. Carting down a beach, in wind and chop?  That's where you want something skinnier and less volume....but if you are only doing it once in a while in the big chop up bay?  You may want to do it.  If you don't want to stand and carry a lot of gear?  Look for something with less volume. This sport started with folks fishing out of kayaks with less than 26" beam, and 28" wide became the norm. There was no sacrifice in performance or compromise of stability. Anglers did fine....if you want to stand then that's another need but there's a trade off for that type of platform. You may need more than one kayak.

9 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I never tried it but it sounds like you already know how it's going too perform in unfavorable conditions. Tugboats in flat calm rule. Carting down a beach, in wind and chop?  That's where you want something skinnier and less volume....but if you are only doing it once in a while in the big chop up bay?  You may want to do it.  If you don't want to stand and carry a lot of gear?  Look for something with less volume. This sport started with folks fishing out of kayaks with less than 26" beam, and 28" wide became the norm. There was no sacrifice in performance or compromise of stability. Anglers did fine....if you want to stand then that's another need but there's a trade off for that type of platform. You may need more than one kayak.

It really is incredible to see how far the sport has come over the last few years. 

But yes, I plan to use it on the bigger water only once in a while. I’m mainly worried about how it takes waves. How well do the scuppers drain the deck? How is will ride when paralleling the waves? Can I float a river in it?

For it the most part, I know what to expect out of it. I’ll be doing most of my fishing from a Hobie. This boat is a secondary boat for bringing a guest out, or when I fish a lake or river. 

For some It got incredible. I think most would benefit with more choices having pedals and less volume. It’s like full size boats.  I went from a flat hull Maritime skiff to a Northcoast modified Vee with trim tabs. It may rock in flat calm but when it sucks out it shines. Yet, you can still fish it in flat water. 

The tugboat of of the day in 2003  was the Cobra Fish and Dive.  Did not sell well on the East Coast. Veteran  salty kayak anglers wanted lighter and faster and the Tarpon and Prowler series from 28” of width sold like hot cakes. Even a beginner kayak angler got into one and 1 hour later they got use to it.   Nobody complained about unstable platforms, except for the Heritage Sea Dart...that could pull you over on a big fish hit but it was awesome for chasing the bird piles. 

I don't know. Those bird piles seem to come out of no where for me. Except not chasing but dodging them :p