Recoil Rob

What mauled this bass?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Doubt it was a seal, stripers  don’t spend that much time around them, especially Hudson River stripers, and if you caught that fish recently in LI Sound it’s probably a Hudson River fish.

most likely a young small mouthed shark, like a little thresher.

Edited by MakoMike

Big threshers were causing mayhem from debs to Jone few yrs ago. 

Some rite at the mouths of the inlets.

Big blues and stripers were on the menu. 

There were juvenile whites, makos and others as well.

18 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

Because we have threshers in the Hudson Mike?  :p

I see seals all the time in Norwalk, no sharks...

There are threshers in NY harbor, does that count as the Hudson? The south shore of LI is a nursery area for threshers, maybe that fish took a detour last year. :)

Well, that would mean this fish came down the Hudson into NY Harbor, got hit by thresher, and...

1. either went along the south shore, around Montauk and back in to the Norwalk area, or...
  2. went back up the East River, through Hell Gate and into LI Sound.

I suppose either is likely but usually the simplest explanation is the best, got whacked by one of those Norwalk seals.

You know Mike, I tried to get the SPH together again for this year, no interest, I think everyone's feeling old.  :eek:

Shows how tough stripers are.  I've caught a few with wounds that had healed over, but looked like they should have been deadly.

Everyone says don't touch the gills---I caught a very lively fish that was missing one gill and had another that wasn't attached on one end. Obviously a fishing injury, but it had happened a very long time before I caught it.  

On 5/11/2019 at 8:01 PM, Recoil Rob said:

I thought propeller also but then thought that would explain the gash on the back but not the ones on the belly, I'm going with seal.

So,

That means, 2 propellers, lol.

One on the back and other on the belly.

10 hours ago, Slappy said:

Shows how tough stripers are.  I've caught a few with wounds that had healed over, but looked like they should have been deadly.

Everyone says don't touch the gills---I caught a very lively fish that was missing one gill and had another that wasn't attached on one end. Obviously a fishing injury, but it had happened a very long time before I caught it.  

I caught a gator once that had 3 rows torn off on one end,they were pink not red and it was behaving normally.

I would imagine that at times when they slam a bunker head first,it cold rip it's way through the gills and tear one off.

I suppose it's possible.

HH