t0phtrt

Thru-Hole Drilling on Lathe - Help me stop killing trees

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Since I use a lot of hardwood, would a drill press just be a good investment? If so what kind would u recommend?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I start with a jobber length (about 4”) 5/32” brad point drill and drill about 2 to 3” deep, going slowly, clearing chips every 3/4 to 1”.  The shorter drill is much stiffer than a 6 or 12 inch bit. This creates a nice straight guide for the longer drill to finish your through hole. Using my battery powered hand drill I use an 8” drill bit that has full length flute to finish the hole. Go slow, clearing chips frequently. Sometimes I will clean the through hole with a full flute 12” inch bit after dilling with the 8” drill. I also build darters. I fill the 5/32” hole with the nose loop with slow setting 2 ton Devcon epoxy by pulling the nose loop out about an inch and generously coating the wire with epoxy, then shove it back into the lure, filling the hole. It makes a pretty solid connection. I also sometimes shove a toothpick on each side of the hole. Let it set over night, then add more epoxy to fill the hole flush with the face of the lure. After this sets up, once again over night, it should be pretty solid and ready to make you tail loop. You should end up with the first inch of the through hole being solid wire and epoxy. As a final thought, use a slow speed to drill the hole, both on the lathe and with the hand drill. I never had much success with through driling with my drill press. Thats my 2 cents. 

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

If you get burned out through drilling plugs you can practice through drilling a 20"  flute......   Start out just like through drilling a plug & gradually work up to a 3/4" bit....

P5240910.JPG

P5240914.JPG

P5240915.JPG