Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Connetquot

NE Florida/SW Georgia locations...

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Looking for some commentary from the board.  Currently the wife and I are in the DFW area.  We're about 4 - 5 years from hanging it up and probably heading back to the SE where she's from.  So far, we've focused on the Fern Beach/Amelia Island/Yulee area up through St. Mary's, GA, Brunswick, GA (BIL is County Sheriff), Darien, GA and as far up as Townsend, GA.  Are any of you guys familiar with those areas, I have heard and read about the Redfishing on the St. John's...  had a charter guys I used quite a few times tell me he loved the Georgia Coast, much better than the Ocean Isle, NC area he was in...

Reading the thread about fishing prohibitions in Florida got me thinking about it and I figured I'd ask here.  We moved into a neighborhood here specifically because it did NOT have an HOA and the more I think of it, the more I don't want to be in a development or neighborhood with an HOA.  If I could find a place on a tidal creek with a dock, I'd be in Schaefer city...

Jeff B.

Can't go wrong on Amelia Island.   Yulee is growing like crazy, but not on coast.  

Personally I would stay in FL solely for tax purpose, Further in land  How ever you might look at Palatka and Green Cove Springs, Reported to be very Good Redfishing along St Johns, both  small 6000-10000 population lot of rural area

Thanks...  I’ll look there as well.  Having family in the area is one draw, the other is the number of military installations around, I’m retired Army, so the facilities are useful if nearby.

Jeff B.

Navy Base in Jax and Mayport, Navy Sub Base in Kingsland, all three have Navy Lodge 1 800 Navy INN, Camp Blanding in Starke  small exchange, can get new ID card with in 30 day window,

I visited Green Cove Springs on a suggestion from a friend who has a fishing house there. It is one of my favorite towns I've traveled to in FL.  But, the state is building a major highway belt from Jacksonville and a couple more bridges and three more schools currently. I read a newspaper article written from the mayor suggesting they expect a population explosion of triple over a couple years. 

So-long to one of the old towns of FL. The St Johns river is beautiful there, close enough to head east for the surf and west to the river mouths in the gulf. 

I just bought in Port Orange Fl. 10 mins outside Daytona. Really nice area. Lots of water.

12 hours ago, JTF said:

I visited Green Cove Springs on a suggestion from a friend who has a fishing house there. It is one of my favorite towns I've traveled to in FL.  But, the state is building a major highway belt from Jacksonville and a couple more bridges and three more schools currently. I read a newspaper article written from the mayor suggesting they expect a population explosion of triple over a couple years. 

So-long to one of the old towns of FL. The St Johns river is beautiful there, close enough to head east for the surf and west to the river mouths in the gulf. 

Connetquot, Just for info, NAS Jax has a real Good Marina, docks, storage area,if you have own boat you might want  to take a look and see if fits in plans, heard the River Held Black Bass ,NAS Jax also has Large Hospital,

Over populate Green Cove Springs , is no  small town safe any more to what some call progress. Callahan NO Heavy Truck Traffic lot of Hitch Hikers every Day, Yule??, In GA,Brunswick, Kings Bay, St Mary's  ,5 years  plenty of time to decide where and when

Another place you might want to check out is Heckscher Dr. in north Jacksonville. It runs along the the St. John's river and is surrounded by creeks/marshes on the other side. Very scenic and fishy area. It eventually turns into A1A and runs along the ocean on the way up to Amelia Island. I'm going to attach a screenshot, never tried to post a pic, hopefully it works.

Capture.PNG

Posted (edited) · Report post

I live in Southwest GA. If you are looking for fresh water fishing you have Lake Seminole, and it's tough to beat the bass fishing. Lake Seminole drains into a dam just below the Florida line, then flows into the Apalachicola River, which has stripped bass, then into the gulf of Mexico. I love Southwest GA, but it gets hot, humid, and filled with gnats starting about May 3 and ending around December 30. However I live 5 minutes from year round bass fishing and can have a boat in saltwater in less than 2 hours. 

In Northwest FL you have a lot of decent towns on the coast where you can do some inshore. Apalachicola, Alligator point, east point, carabelle, panacea. Most of those places have gotten pretty decent over the last decade. Port St. Joe and Mexico City Beach are rebuilding and are going to be cleaning up/rebuilding for years. All those places have very nice beaches and really good fishing. 

If it were me I would probably look in the carabelle, alligator point. Though Apalachicola has access to Apalachicola Bay which is beautiful and has tons of fishing, easy access to the gulf and awesome play areas to take your grandkids scalloping or snorkeling

Edited by mwhitt80

There is an income tax in Georgia, but if you are 62-64 there is a 35,000 per person income exclusion (70,000 filing joint) and at 65 that jumps to 65,000 (130,000 joint)

Many thanks to all of you guys...  all the information and thoughts are appreciated.  As Al points out, five years is a bit of time.  We're starting to take care of various things on the house out here so it'll be in relatively good "sale" shape.  One thought is to but a piece of land on a creek/river and build.  Relatives in GA are pushing the wife towards that, but we'll see.  Out travels out there have picked up in the last few years and we're continually scoping areas out.

Thanks!

Jeff B. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, mwhitt80 said:

There is an income tax in Georgia, but if you are 62-64 there is a 35,000 per person income exclusion (70,000 filing joint) and at 65 that jumps to 65,000 (130,000 joint)

Was not up on That tax I was Referring to Real estate tax, in and near Atlanta as per  Delta Pilot who said taxes forced him to NC, GA lost big time form 96 Olympics and locals have to pay for mistake

You Near Bainbridge ?? Passed through couple times

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, Al Sears said:

Was not up on That tax I was Referring to Real estate tax, in and near Atlanta as per  Delta Pilot who said taxes forced him to NC, GA lost big time form 96 Olympics and locals have to pay for mistake

You Near Bainbridge ?? Passed through couple times

What were you doing in Bainbridge?

Edited by mwhitt80

8 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

What were you doing in Bainbridge?

Was Riding M/C (BMW) to BMW Bike rally in Huntsville at Ditto landing, one year take 231 from Dothan next year take 431  from Opelika, either way  leave FL at 0500 and try to get to Huntsville at 5pm AL Time ,long day