codfish

25 percent tariff how will this effect fishing?

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

When's the last time you fish a jig with a USA made hook?  Brass eyes for sinker, you guessed, made in china.  You checked the price of cnc mold vs an average do it mold? Anything do-it from mold to supplies is made in china. How many of you pay double or triple the price for a jig with a USA hook on a us made mold? Rubber baits? I would bet good money majority of the rubber baits you see in flea markets are chinese or other 3rd world country imports in bulk.  Vendors just repackage them for resell.  Small operation, maybe. Go up large scale, it's not as easy as you think.  We as consumer paid for the tariff increase. Who gets the tax money??  How does this tax increase help out an average american company?

I was recently trying to get those multi tier metal wire shelving units on ebay and amazon.  It was hit by the metal tariff so vendors had to increase price dramatically overnight.  Sales would get hit initially, but did it stop completely? no. They would continue to sell at the higher price point because there is no alternative. Where are the made in USA metal wire shelving units? 

Meanwhile, for the first quarter of 2019, Chinese industrial output rose 8.7%. That means that for every 12 widgets they made last year, they made 13 this year. Why would they pay attention to tariffs from us? We are a small part of their total market. 

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

When's the last time you fish a jig with a USA made hook?  Brass eyes for sinker, you guessed, made in china.  You checked the price of cnc mold vs an average do it mold? Anything do-it from mold to supplies is made in china. How many of you pay double or triple the price for a jig with a USA hook on a us made mold? Rubber baits? I would bet good money majority of the rubber baits you see in flea markets are chinese or other 3rd world country imports in bulk.  Vendors just repackage them for resell.  Small operation, maybe. Go up large scale, it's not as easy as you think.  We as consumer paid for the tariff increase. Who gets the tax money??  How does this tax increase help out an average american company?

I was recently trying to get those multi tier metal wire shelving units on ebay and amazon.  It was hit by the metal tariff so vendors had to increase price dramatically overnight.  Sales would get hit initially, but did it stop completely? no. They would continue to sell at the higher price point because there is no alternative. Where are the made in USA metal wire shelving units? 

Eagle Claw hooks

"Founded in Denver, Colorado in 1925, the Wright & McGill Co. is solely owned by Lee McGill.  We continue to manufacture all of our world famous fishhooks in Denver, Colorado and are extremely proud to be the only brand of fishhooks "Made In The USA!"  We are proud stewards of an 90+ year American legacy and the most recognizable brand name in all of fishing."

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, codfish said:

Eagle Claw hooks

"Founded in Denver, Colorado in 1925, the Wright & McGill Co. is solely owned by Lee McGill.  We continue to manufacture all of our world famous fishhooks in Denver, Colorado and are extremely proud to be the only brand of fishhooks "Made In The USA!"  We are proud stewards of an 90+ year American legacy and the most recognizable brand name in all of fishing."

Not being disrespectful but I don’t use any of your hooks. It’s not because of your product is inferior, or less costly, or made in the USA. It’s because other than my panfish days in elementary school, I don’t have any experience with them. I have experience with Mustad when they were a product of Norway, Gamikatsu, VMC.  Relying on the idea of being an American Legacy is just not going to cut it. Good luck, honesty I have fond memories of the “Boys Life” ads.

After today, who knows?

Edited by Shag

LOL. eagle claw along with shakespare and south bend are the big 3 chinesium importer in the fishing industry.  Just walk into any big box store and it's all you see.  Half of the broken crap you see on the beach, lake shore and river bank are from these big 3. 

12 hours ago, ged said:

It does work this way. When you buy ZeeBaaS, Seigler, IRT, AVET you support these companies and other US companies that make parts in the US for these reels. 

Just because bearings and gaskets come from another country doesn’t  mean that you cannot support US fishing companies. 

Just a note.....I read  in the big IRT discussion that the bearings are US made. 

On 5/12/2019 at 7:05 PM, Sweetwater said:

And despite Trump supporter's conviction that this is a new way to address the Chinese, tariffs have been tried before with no impact. 

Saying that tariffs have had no impact when tried before may not be completely accurate.  A lot of economists have suggested that it was the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act of 1930 that put the "Great" into the Great Depression.

Now, if you said that they had no positive impact, I'd tend to agree...

The funny thing about Smoot-Hawley is that the economists of the time - and this is before Keynes - were thoroughly against it. There was a letter published in the NYT, signed by 200 economists, urging Congress not to pass it.  Congress did, of course, which demonstrates that in frightened times, the urge to find an enemy and put up a wall to keep the Enemy away is timeless and universal. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

............, the urge to find an enemy and put up a wall to keep the Enemy away is timeless and universal. 

And who the Enemy may be today?

Should we all look at the mirror?

or

Move that mirror away from me

so, I don't see my Enemy?

Edited by Popasilov

Fishing rods on the list of impacted sporting goods.

Perhaps more curious under Sporting Goods is two bullets below that "Rocket Launchers & Flamethrowers."  ?!?!?  

WTF are you guys doing out there?  Makes me think of the "Violent Fishing" thread going.  Maybe guys are gearing up beyond the humble surf knife I go out with.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 11.24.37 AM.png

Have any of our tackle reps who sometimes post here chimed in?

i dont see prices moving yet. 

I was two years too early. I bought some stuff assuming a tax was right around the corner after the election 

78386F2D-CFCB-40B2-9E58-84C2C514C54E.jpeg

After working in Silicon Valley for the last 15 yrs I'm in favor of a policy preventing China from stealing intellectual property, what I don't understand is how we didn't align our policy with other allies to really put pressure on China. Also, I would propose a novel way to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. by the time this trade dispute is over the government will have put 50 billion dollars in relief efforts just for our farmers, not to mention other industries. Why don't we as Americans do what China did to start all of this, their government and treasury gave massive subsidies and provided them with the ability to undercut every other country on manufacturing cost and pricing. Our enlightened peers in Washington throw hundreds of billions of dollars away every year with not a single benefit to us. Maybe it's time to rethink things.