codfish

25 percent tariff how will this effect fishing?

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I try to buy American first. My aluminum boat, outboard, and trailer are all made in the US. Even my boat cover......

My rods and reels are Japan and China. I cant see spending more than a hundred on a rod or reel. The only reel I have that I consider expensive was a Quantum Cabo 40 I bought about 8/10 years ago. It was $279.   Made in China....

Jack up the prices and I will buy the even cheaper stuff. 

Edited by aae0130

Two of the best reel companies are here. Seigler for conventional and fly. IRT for spinning. You can buy just about any lure from dozens of garage and basement builders. St Croix rods are made here and mexico as well as rod geeks blanks. Gear Up and flatlander bags made here. So whats left? Braid swivels and some minor stuff. I support the tariffs. Besides China will bend in negotiations.

59 mins ago, reelfire said:

Two of the best reel companies are here. Seigler for conventional and fly. IRT for spinning. You can buy just about any lure from dozens of garage and basement builders. St Croix rods are made here and mexico as well as rod geeks blanks. Gear Up and flatlander bags made here. So whats left? Braid swivels and some minor stuff. I support the tariffs. Besides China will bend in negotiations.

Maybe. 

14 hours ago, aae0130 said:

The mojo’s are made in China....(I think)

I think there made in mexico, That's why I wont get one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Maybe china will bend. Maybe it won't. No way to tell from here. 

I think China needs American $$$ far more than we need their inexpensive products. It’s a big world out there and there are plenty of other countries waiting in the wings to pick up anything that gets dropped by China. It wasn’t that long ago when products coming out of Japan were considered crappy. Now their manufacturing capabilities rival anyone’s. China keeps getting better and better in their manufacturing but  they have to have customers to sell to and we are their biggest and they don’t want to mess that up.  Sure there’s going to be some finger pointing and threats made but I seriously doubt if the endless supply of inexpensive fishing tackle is going to dry up anytime soon. Americans are now used to an abundance of everything at low prices. It’s why Walmart has gotten so big. We can’t live without cheap and lots of it and China can’t survive without making it all for us.

Edited by valentine

1 hour ago, valentine said:

I think China needs American $$$ far more than we need their inexpensive products. It’s a big world out there and there are plenty of other countries waiting in the wings to pick up anything that gets dropped by China. It wasn’t that long ago when products coming out of Japan were considered crappy. Now their manufacturing capabilities rival anyone’s. China keeps getting better and better in their manufacturing but  they have to have customers to sell to and we are their biggest and they don’t want to mess that up.  Sure there’s going to be some finger pointing and threats made but I seriously doubt if the endless supply of inexpensive fishing tackle is going to dry up anytime soon. Americans are now used to an abundance of everything at low prices. It’s why Walmart has gotten so big. We can’t live without cheap and lots of it and China can’t survive without making it all for us.

Maybe.  I'm not an economist. 

1 hour ago, valentine said:

Not really.  China's rise to become the world's workshop has been a forty-year process. No other country has a fraction of the skilled labor force that China has developed. No other country has the infrastructure base.  India has poorer infrastructure and labor laws that are tough on foreigners. Vietnam is half a century behind China, as well as a fraction of the size.

Countries like Taiwan and Japan now do the larger part of their own manufacturing in China. They're hugely invested in China, largely for the same cost reasons as we are; their own labor has gotten too pricey. 

2 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I think there made in mexico, That's why I wont get one.

Ah......thanks.    When I bought my bass rod I picked up the mojo and saw it wasn’t US made. If I have to buy non-American I just go cheap. The mojo was $140 and the Tsunami Airwave was $52. Guess which one I bought. Matched it to a Tsunami Shield reel. 

For those of you that believe this could turn around US manufacturing, I believe it is a pipe dream ... our core of manufacturing has diminished ... unless the Feds incentivize the process ... the costs to bring back the fundamentals will be to great ... take a look at forging ... most of the companies who did this process are gone and the expertise to do it as well .  It is very difficult to get a competitive price on these products due to the type products that are made ...  check out the cost of a Hopkins lure nowadays.

42 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Not really.  China's rise to become the world's workshop has been a forty-year process. No other country has a fraction of the skilled labor force that China has developed. No other country has the infrastructure base.  India has poorer infrastructure and labor laws that are tough on foreigners. Vietnam is half a century behind China, as well as a fraction of the size.

Countries like Taiwan and Japan now do the larger part of their own manufacturing in China. They're hugely invested in China, largely for the same cost reasons as we are; their own labor has gotten too pricey. 

The biggest thing China has going for them is their manpower; plenty of it and for cheap. As countries with developing economies become economically stronger, their work force also becomes smarter and more educated and capable of making demands which benefit the workers themselves; Think unions and organized labor forces. Do you remember when Japan’s workers would not take vacations or sick days and they began their workdays singing songs of company loyalty? It’s not like that anymore. They’re corporate structure is now very western and even their long term physical health is showing the effects of those changes. Heart disease, cancer and work related stress is through the roof compared to what it used to be over there. China is no different.  Advances in communication has largely eliminated China’s cloistered citizenship. The people over there now know how well the western world lives and they want it all too.Ever been to China and Hong Kong? There’s more exotic cars on the streets there than I’ve seen anywhere else and they’re not owned by westerners. As far as China’s manufacturing infrastructure; you are correct that it’s huge and powerful but primarily because they don’t yet have labor laws and protections for the workers that the western world does. But those protections will be needed and demanded by the workers themselves. For example, my father in law was an engineer in the steel industry. He told me that USA steel mills were closing because OSHA safety standards for the workers were so strict and too expensive to meet. He told me that one facility he was at required that no human beings could be inside the foundry when molten steel was being poured; it all had to be done with automated machines. How expensive do you think that is? Contrast that American facility with a Chinese one where the workers walk around barefoot. In fact, I recall an incident at a Chinese foundry where they dropped a load of molten steel inside the building where all the workers were. It vaporized the entire shift. Guess what? That facility was up and running again as soon as they could clean up the mess. It would not happen that way in America and it’s going to change in China too. Big business is what’s taking over the world and causing government to change their policies. The world’s battlefield is now Wall Street and I don’t think it’ll veer away from that trend in my lifetime. 

One area of fishing that tariffs might have a dramatic effect is in the fishing lure space, US company's might start to get back some of the market share.:)