codfish

25 percent tariff how will this effect fishing?

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, clambellies said:

Most people would support a competitive American made product.....In a perfect world.  The problem is most manufacturing that's gone overseas won't be coming back.  The recent American business model of the past few decades is to have the products made as cheaply as possible overseas, maximizing profits.  American business have stalled wages for decades and done everything they could do to cut back on worker benefits.  Asking American workers to work for Chinese or Indian wages is a non starter.  

Bingo.  I work in manufacturing and it is sad how much product we have moved production to Mexico.   

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Commodity products will move elsewhere in the Third World before they come back to the US. For all the talk about Buying American, how many people actually will spend the price difference between a made-in-USA Avet, Accurate or Penn Torque over a Saltiga? How many can do so?

You are right there; it will be much cheaper to move to another 3rd world, then come back to US

Question is, not how many can do so, rather

How many can afford to do so?

You guys can argue all you want to about this . It’s not going to stop us from going fishing. The price of Tackle never go down unless it’s a sale . So they will just build in the cost like they do every year and think we don’t notice .

5 hours ago, ged said:

How much longer can we afford not to support US companies, and places that employ Americans?

It's just capitalism, right? Supply and demand. Consumer always wants the lowest price and companies want to maximize profits, especially publicly-traded companies where shareholders care about little else. 

Manufacturing moved out of USA decades ago because we, as a country of consumers, want lower prices more than anything else. The vast allegiance of consumers to WalMart proves this. Even when a new WalMart in the community means many local retailers will go out of business, consumers don't seem to care...and on top of that...the "jobs" that are created by Walmart result in poor pay and bad employee treatment.  So you have a large retailer like Walmart controlling segments of the market,  trading almost exclusively in foreign-made goods and making labor conditions worse...and people just eat it up. It's a very large and complex societal issue.

5 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Tariffs are not going to make Bob and Mary start some business manufacturing the widget in the USA. 

Places in the USA do employ US workers, they just take the product and assemble the parts of the whole here. US auto industry is a perfect example of course they are union so that’s looked down on. They employ the US worker. 

We will never ever get the garment industry back in NY. When a company like a Nike has problems years ago financially when they make the sneaker for pennies on the dollar in some foreign place and sells it here for dollars on the dollar, you won’t take greed out of the equation to change the location. 

The USA is not a manufacturing country of the past, we are a service industry and have been for years. If you want that to change take the leap and start a plant up to manufacture a widget, you won’t but you will complain no one else is and demand someone do something about it too.

A good close friend owns a foundry in NJ, he has for years, his dad started the business. He labels it Made in USA, only problem is it sells the concept just doesn’t make a profit. Every shipping box and item in it has this sticker, made in America. I never did ask where the sticker is made. He makes Just enough to survive and employ a few. He keeps it going and gets beat up by those that want it cheaper, yes you the consumer. Sometimes you have to look in the mirror to see the problem. He can’t raise his rates no one will use is company. But, it’s made in America, oh yes, USA built and turned from aluminum bar to machined finish product, all in house. 

Buy American great battle cry but no plan to accomplish. Sounds great on paper, just no fortitude to accomplish the goal. Gets the minions all a frothing, just don’t ask them to do it. They’d wait for others to do it. I always said everyone should own a business to see just what’s involved, money and time wise. Do you have the gut to do it. Can you be profitable and bring a product or service to the forefront. Buy American just don’t ask “ME” to take that risk.

And...to add to that...make it the same price as if it were made in Vietnam or Mexico.  How many people would go to the hardware store and pay $75 for a "Made in USA" shovel when the "Made in Bangladesh" shovel next to it looks very similar and costs $35.  Or a $750 washing machine instead of $350.  And if a US manufacturer tried to get the washing machine made here and sell it for even $450... consumers wouldn't like the price and US workers would be unhappy because they were being told to work at minimum wage with no benefits.  You can't fight the economics unless you are willing to pay the price. And the vast majority of consumers don't want to.  And I don't think very  people would be very excited to be working at a plant  mindlessly  assembling  do-dads.

Robotics are replacing manufacturing labor anyway.

The only possible way to override the global economics is to impose a "state controlled and subsidized" market.  Which is what China is criticised for.  If you follow the traditional conservative mantra if "let the market decide"....our current status is what you get. 

It's far easier and better to educate our kids for careers where thinking and creativity are paramount than to try to force some 1920s economic model into the 21st century. Most kids are not going to want to go into manufacturing jobs anyway.  They are immersed in the internet and digital Life. They're not going to work in a steel mill, assembly line or coal mine. We've moved away from that for good reasons.

10 hours ago, snapper1 said:

The US do not have enough money for that. Your economic model would have to be completely changed.

The OP question was about fishing gear, and when it comes to fishing gear I do have US companies I can support.  

Zero impact on me. I have enough crap that I realistically don't need to buy a damn thing for the rest of my fishing career. Factor in the ****** fishing and I need even less of what I have stock piled.

Zero effect.  

As an environmentalist concerned about our watershed, I’m sure he carefully studied all the potential downstream impacts of such an action.

13 hours ago, Popasilov said:

You are right there; it will be much cheaper to move to another 3rd world, then come back to US

Question is, not how many can do so, rather

How many can afford to do so?

Capital is freely available, interest rates are fairly low. If you're a firm that needs to move production of three-way gitzel valves from China to Bangladesh, it's quite do-able. 

Accurate, Avet, some Penn, and that Penna spinning reel firm (name forgotten) that Ksong is testing. Lots more fly stuff made here. High end rods from United Composites, higher-end St. CRoix and Lamiglas. I dunno who else.