codfish

25 percent tariff how will this effect fishing?

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

Could be great if it makes American made products more competitive in the marketplace. Who would not support a US product if pricing was similar?

Gas prices, fish populations and access (lack thereof) are what affect fishing... they are the gift that keeps giving.

An  extra $50 on a $200 rod or reel isn't going to do much of anything. 

It'll hurt the small house brands that import directly...and us based companies that import directly....but other companies that are based in japan etc shouldn't experience any cost changes......

Take a look at the tariff schedules and see what the rates are on some things.

It varies so much rods reels weights etc all different.

It will do "something," but how much remains to be seen. 

China isn't the only source of cheap manufacturing of mass commodities. Bangladesh is a huge player in clothing. Samsung's plant in Vietnam, where labor costs are half of what they now are in China, is a major part over Samsung's price advantage in cell phones over Apple (made in China by a Taiwanese subcontractor).  

Commodity products will move elsewhere in the Third World before they come back to the US. For all the talk about Buying American, how many people actually will spend the price difference between a made-in-USA Avet, Accurate or Penn Torque over a Saltiga? How many can do so?

I really don’t think China has as big of roll in the fishing industry on the East Coast . As compared to Japan and other Asian countries. If we did feel affects I think it would be minimal. Some how I feel China will get over by just shipping there goods somewhere else over there for export . Just my 2 cents 

11 mins ago, PissonDFS said:

I really don’t think China has as big of roll in the fishing industry

I think the city is WeiHei - it is the fishing manufacturering capitol of the world. YOu couldn't be more inaccurate if you tried.

41 mins ago, BrianBM said:

For all the talk about Buying American, how many people actually will spend the price difference between a made-in-USA Avet, Accurate or Penn Torque over a Saltiga? How many can do so?

How much longer can we afford not to support US companies, and places that employ Americans?

A question beyond this thread.  I don't know the answer. I DO know that virtually no clothing is made in the USA anymore. Other consumer goods? Mostly not. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

Could be great if it makes American made products more competitive in the marketplace. Who would not support a US product if pricing was similar?

Most people would support a competitive American made product.....In a perfect world.  The problem is most manufacturing that's gone overseas won't be coming back.  The recent American business model of the past few decades is to have the products made as cheaply as possible overseas, maximizing profits.  American business have stalled wages for decades and done everything they could do to cut back on worker benefits.  Asking American workers to work for Chinese or Indian wages is a non starter.  

35 mins ago, Billy 40 said:

I think the city is WeiHei - it is the fishing manufacturering capitol of the world. YOu couldn't be more inaccurate if you tried.

I think you are correct.  WaiFai used to be the big fishing mfg city in China, but they transitioned into consumer electronics.

Tariffs are not going to make Bob and Mary start some business manufacturing the widget in the USA. 

Places in the USA do employ US workers, they just take the product and assemble the parts of the whole here. US auto industry is a perfect example of course they are union so that’s looked down on. They employ the US worker. 

We will never ever get the garment industry back in NY. When a company like a Nike has problems years ago financially when they make the sneaker for pennies on the dollar in some foreign place and sells it here for dollars on the dollar, you won’t take greed out of the equation to change the location. 

The USA is not a manufacturing country of the past, we are a service industry and have been for years. If you want that to change take the leap and start a plant up to manufacture a widget, you won’t but you will complain no one else is and demand someone do something about it too.

A good close friend owns a foundry in NJ, he has for years, his dad started the business. He labels it Made in USA, only problem is it sells the concept just doesn’t make a profit. Every shipping box and item in it has this sticker, made in America. I never did ask where the sticker is made. He makes Just enough to survive and employ a few. He keeps it going and gets beat up by those that want it cheaper, yes you the consumer. Sometimes you have to look in the mirror to see the problem. He can’t raise his rates no one will use is company. But, it’s made in America, oh yes, USA built and turned from aluminum bar to machined finish product, all in house. 

Buy American great battle cry but no plan to accomplish. Sounds great on paper, just no fortitude to accomplish the goal. Gets the minions all a frothing, just don’t ask them to do it. They’d wait for others to do it. I always said everyone should own a business to see just what’s involved, money and time wise. Do you have the gut to do it. Can you be profitable and bring a product or service to the forefront. Buy American just don’t ask “ME” to take that risk.

35 mins ago, ged said:

How much longer can we afford not to support US companies, and places that employ Americans?

The US do not have enough money for that. Your economic model would have to be completely changed.

41 mins ago, ged said:

The US is at full employment.  We couldn't transition to a much larger manufacturing based economy even if we wanted to... we don't have any surplus workers to do it.

6 mins ago, Slacker said:

The US is at full employment.  We couldn't transition to a much larger manufacturing based economy even if we wanted to... we don't have any surplus workers to do it.

True.

It's a ''numbers'' game.Purely mathematic.