Catch and release rules

Smullins

Hey there, I live in south jersey. I was wondering if there is any freshwater places where catch and release is not required? I really would like to have some of what I catch for dinner but am unsure of the regulations. I know saltwater you can keep but it’s a kinda long drive for that. Thanks In advance!

Regs vary from state to state & may even in specific bodies of water. If you buy a fishing license in NJ, you should get a booklet that has the regs in it, or at least a condensed version. They may also have it posted on a website. When in doubt, contact the DNR or whatever agency handles fishery reg enforcement and ask them. 

C & R may be required in some places, but probably there's plenty of waters that don't. Just be sure you also know the creel limits & possession limits. 

There are some bodies of water here in SC that have consumption advisories too. Some fish can have various chemicals and other harmful substances in their bodies, so take heed of any that may be mentioned for your waters. 

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but it's better than being under it! 

4 hours ago, Smullins said:

Hey there, I live in south jersey. I was wondering if there is any freshwater places where catch and release is not required? I really would like to have some of what I catch for dinner but am unsure of the regulations. I know saltwater you can keep but it’s a kinda long drive for that. Thanks In advance!

Take a look here if you are serious about this  https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/digfsh.htm