Fishy4335

Electric bike 4 riding on the beach?!

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

41 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Its a power assist bike not running 100% on electric motor you do pedal also , so how would anyone know ! 

Correct!.... us you can use it as a regular bike

Regulations for e Bikes are all over the place from state to state. Many states don't even define e Bikes. "The state of Massachusetts does NOT require electric bikes to be registered if they meet the definition of a “low-speed electric bicycle” under Federal law (i.e., the bike must have 2-3 wheels, fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750 watts, and a maximum speed of 20 mph when powered solely by the motor)." This would be considered a Class 1 e Bike which is what most of them are. Depending on where you look, there are no rules governing where you can and can't ride them. I don't think you will have trouble riding a class 1 e bike on any beach that allows bikes in general.

One of the main concerns people have with e bikes are on trails that could suffer from erosion. If more powerful e bikes start showing up there will likely have to be some sort of legislation banning them from trails just as dirt bikes are banned in most places. Class 1 e bikes don't have enough torque to tear the trails up so are of no concern on the beach.  

The second big concern is with speed on shared bike paths. Class 1 e bikes can't go any faster than a fit rider on a regular bike so there are currently no rules in Ma that say you can't ride them in certain places. 

My guess is if they get banned in certain locations, it will be posted. I think they will may make allowances for people with disabilities or for older riders. One of the biggest reasons people by them is so they can get some assisted exercise. If they do get banned in certain locations, you could argue they should ban electric wheelchairs as well...

Ted 

i think the canal has some rules against power assist bikes , but the rules are very unclear ! Im using mine there until some one tells me i cant !

Rad Power makes a nice fat tire E-bike at about $1500 and replacement battery packs are "relatively" cheap ($500) because their controller unit is made separately.  As far as legality if they allow bikes on the beach you might be ok for a while, unless the powers to be start their usual "lets make a new law" routine to address them. Visiting my daughter in Portland Oregon last year, they own two E-bikes and rented a couple for my wife and me.  E-bikes are very cool and can really be outfitted.

Looks like I'll be getting one of these and ride the beach from jones to moses and Democrat to fire island in the fall... I'll get a few extra batteries as well..... will rig it up, air down to 15 psi and fly!!!

2 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

Looks like I'll be getting one of these and ride the beach from jones to moses and Democrat to fire island in the fall... I'll get a few extra batteries as well..... will rig it up, air down to 15 psi and fly!!!

More like 6 PSI on the beach.  High volume = low pressure. You have to get a low pressure tire gauge to get it right. 

7 hours ago, beerdoh said:

More like 6 PSI on the beach.  High volume = low pressure. You have to get a low pressure tire gauge to get it right. 

Thanks I will do that....... 

There are better brands than the Rad power bike talk to guys who know bikes like i did , you can get all the great features that you need , like good brakes and powerfull motor s 

14 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Ted 

i think the canal has some rules against power assist bikes , but the rules are very unclear ! Im using mine there until some one tells me i cant !

Anything motorised on the canal needs a permit 

20190417_094716.jpg

On a side note, I was stuck in a movie theater for an hour last weekend because some idiot called the bomb squad on a chained up ebike. Evidently it takes an hour and 20 cops to identify an ebike, who knew?

23 hours ago, shark lobster said:

There are better brands than the Rad power bike talk to guys who know bikes like i did , you can get all the great features that you need , like good brakes and powerfull motor s 

Do you know what brands are good?