squidder 329

I Think I Got Flukeitis

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So I'm getting excited about opening day, so I thought I'd start a conversation how everyone starts their season in New Jersey. I'm a Gulp guy once the back water warms up and fish with a 3/4 to 1oz jig head and if I lose the tail I put on an Otter Tail. I'm not much on teasers do to the sticky bottom, bad enough losing the jig and retying. In the spring I believe meat is the way to go and I'll start with meat on the jig head or sinker followed by leader with a small spoon spinning  on a clevis with a couple of white or green beads. Preferred bait would be salted mackerel, shiners or minnows. Initial game plan is to start  stay away from the inlet and find warmer water and back troll when necessary to slow the drift.

I go with a 1/2 - 3/4 oz bucktail, tipped with either gulp  swimming mullet, or pork rinds (uj or my home made). Then about 18" above that I have a bait holder hook which I usually put gulp shrimp on.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, chitala383 said:

I go with a 1/2 - 3/4 oz bucktail, tipped with either gulp  swimming mullet, or pork rinds (uj or my home made). Then about 18" above that I have a bait holder hook which I usually put gulp shrimp on.

Tried the UJ and didn't catch, mine were soaked in gulp juice and had a yellowish color. Then I switched to the otter tails which I like much better. I soak them as well and get a whole day fishing out of them, they also seem more flexible giving more action.

On another note I stumbled on a John Skinner video today, "Opening Day 2019". It was like commercial, he started with an online fluke seminar $, got a huge Hummingbird plotter on his runabout with a new trolling motor linked to it. Mentioning the manufacturer over and over. Don't blame him for making a buck but IMO getting a little carried away.

Early season fluke in the back are fun to catch. Lots of dropping back and pulling away going on. Some guys have that ability to feel and play a fish until it commits, unlike my friend Glenn Brooks who swings a lot and misses and then the "F" word flies! 

A few years ago when I fluked hard, I noticed that gulp didn't produce well for me until the water warmed up.  We killed them on live killies we trapped, not so much on gulp. 

Once the water warmed up, gulp outproduced the killies. 

Have been using gulp almost exclusively for the past 5 years. Still out catch anyone using bait on my boat.

I use a high/low rig with a teaser and Gulp Grub on top and a Gulp shad on the bottom. Keeps Sea Robins to a minimum, but those bastards still manage to get caught.

Right now it's 46 degrees after tons of rain. If this **** keeps up we will all need to move to find summer flounder willing to bite. 

A little more than a week and a half for nature to get her act together. And when she does it's frozen shiners (spearing) as my best bait. Two hook rig with a shiner and a live minnow is my all time early season favorite. We will tape an opening day show and thats all I will be using.  

25 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

Right now it's 46 degrees after tons of rain. If this **** keeps up we will all need to move to find summer flounder willing to bite. 

A little more than a week and a half for nature to get her act together. And when she does it's frozen shiners (spearing) as my best bait. Two hook rig with a shiner and a live minnow is my all time early season favorite. We will tape an opening day show and thats all I will be using.  

how do you get 'frozen' shiners to stay on the hook casting in the surf? crazy glue?

even if they survive a cast they just don't stay on.

I've used fresh from a blitz pushed on the beach and that is way better. I supposed if you could net them but thats usual a boat thing....

Maybe out back with a gentles flip....

not trying to be sarcastic but just wanting to know your secret

So far this year it's been a tough grind in Jamaica Bay and there abouts. Gulp has received few strikes and fewer "commitments" so even the shorts have been difficult to come by. Sea Robin strips have been productive and the old spearing and squid strips have also been out producing the plastic. I toughen up the spearing by soaking them in a strong brine solution on the boat. I am reluctant to use spearing, because i've always felt once the fluke hits the spearing and pulls it from the hook, you've lost your chance at the fish.On the other hand if it's the only way to get the hit, you've got to compromise. and take your chance. If the water ever warms up, hopefully the bite and size will improve. (P.S.Took me 3 trips to land my first keeper (22') this past saturday. My worst start in 5 years)

I fish early flounder by boat in the back bay.  I typically use a bucktail (3/4 - 1 oz) with a 2/0 baitholder above it.  My typical opening day set up is strip bait on the bucktail (mackerel or bluefish) and a gulp shrimp or swimming mullet on the top (will switch depending on what is working and bait in area).  However, in the early part of the season I have consistently caught my bigger fish on the strip bait opposed to the teaser.  

3/8ths-1oz bucktail with an o'shaughnessy hook about 12” above. Both tipped with 4” swimming mullet. Fished super slow early and as the water heats up add more action. Can’t even remember the last time I used bait or minnows. 

1 hour ago, MarkG said:

how do you get 'frozen' shiners to stay on the hook casting in the surf? crazy glue?

even if they survive a cast they just don't stay on.

I've used fresh from a blitz pushed on the beach and that is way better. I supposed if you could net them but thats usual a boat thing....

Maybe out back with a gentles flip....

not trying to be sarcastic but just wanting to know your secret

My secret is I don't fish the surf. I grew up in the back bays and thats where my passion still burns strong. Can't think of any way to keep a shiner on the hook if you have to toss it very far. Most hook them through the eyes but if you take some time and feel with the hook point you can find a hard point in the jaw that helps keep them on but still a miracle from the surf. 

2 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

My secret is I don't fish the surf. I grew up in the back bays and thats where my passion still burns strong. Can't think of any way to keep a shiner on the hook if you have to toss it very far. Most hook them through the eyes but if you take some time and feel with the hook point you can find a hard point in the jaw that helps keep them on but still a miracle from the surf. 

thnx!

20 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Tried the UJ and didn't catch, mine were soaked in gulp juice and had a yellowish color. Then I switched to the otter tails which I like much better. I soak them as well and get a whole day fishing out of them, they also seem more flexible giving more action.

On another note I stumbled on a John Skinner video today, "Opening Day 2019". It was like commercial, he started with an online fluke seminar $, got a huge Hummingbird plotter on his runabout with a new trolling motor linked to it. Mentioning the manufacturer over and over. Don't blame him for making a buck but IMO getting a little carried away.

I feel the opposite, the otter tails seem much stiffer too me, but I don't like either for fluke. I was catching fluke from shore consistently last year with gulp from May 27th til the end of the season, didn't use bait except for a squid here and there on the boat looking for doormants.