The Salty Fisherman

Fly Fishing For Weakies

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I have been seeing lots of pictures lately of people catching weakfish with the occasional larger fish in the mix as well.  I am not very experienced in catching weakfish, but figured that it would be an interesting challenge to tackle on the fly...  I'm looking for any advice on where, when, and what to throw.  Thanks for your help in advance.

Salty

I’ve caught them on same flies as striped bass. A very accomplished fly rod guide/mentor showed me a pretty unique fly that he said works wonders. I’ll try to get a pic when I can. Always caught the ones I’ve got at estuaries. I’ve been told marsh areas are good to try to specifically target. 

I was fishing the jetty at Indian River Del some years ago.  There must have fifteen guys crowding the tip throwing white bucktails, swimmers, live bait. It was a circus.   One guy had a white bucktail with a big purple skirt and had a weakie on almost every cast.  Everyone else was skunked.

We had a world class weakfish run in Central NJ in the 90’s. Many big fish around. And many small fish around. My kids fished for them like little kids fish for snappers. Then they were gone.

And yes a fly with pink or yellow is a good choice. A Pink and yellow or pink and chartreuse was a go to.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've caught them on flies when I was a much younger fellow, back in the late 70's thru the 90's, at some places along the marshes on the Eastern shore side of the Chesapeake Bay in MD. Back then I had a fiberglass 8 wt. 

They'll take most any fly that a Striper will take, but generally smaller flies, in the 3" to 4" length range are normal. Flies don't have to be complex, in fact one old type was called a Seatrout Special. I think I first saw it in a fly tying book written by Poul Jorgensen back in the 70's.

As BrainBM has said, bright colors are often used, but they'll respond to a variety of colors or combinations. I used orange and brown often, and red & white or red & yellow were popular. 

Seaducers were another style that I used too. Those in my profile pic were tied for targeting them here in SC. 

I see reports often of them being caught here in coastal SC, but have yet to fish for them. 

Here are some examples of the Seatrout Special..

100_5554.JPG

100_5556.JPG

100_5557.JPG

Edited by tidewaterfly

20 hours ago, Kml said:

We had a world class weakfish run in Central NJ in the 90’s. Many big fish around. And many small fish around. My kids fished for them like little kids fish for snappers. Then they were gone.

And yes a fly with pink or yellow is a good choice. A Pink and yellow or pink and chartreuse was a go to.  

Great memories of that era!

On 5/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, The Salty Fisherman said:

I have been seeing lots of pictures lately of people catching weakfish with the occasional larger fish in the mix as well.  I am not very experienced in catching weakfish, but figured that it would be an interesting challenge to tackle on the fly...  I'm looking for any advice on where, when, and what to throw.  Thanks for your help in advance.

Salty

fly same as spinning.... low and slow, late april into may the best.  from shore (?) ideal spot is where there’s some tidal current and a drop off... drifting the offering down current off the drop off.  even better if a choke point.  the bigger ones like to sit and wait for food to come by.  i like a slightly weighted pink/green tube fly on a sinkong line... sort of a fly equivalent to the smallest size ronz or 3.5” soft plastic shrimp.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, The Salty Fisherman said:

Salty

Nice to read all the stories on the weakfish but when you ask for specific information I hope you don’t really expect an answer . Spot Burning is not advisable and could ruin a spot on one weekend

39 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

Nice to read all the stories on the weakfish but when you ask for specific information I hope you don’t really expect an answer . Spot Burning is not advisable and could ruin a spot on one weekend

I in no way expected (nor wanted) anyone to give me any specific spots or locations where they were catching weakies, more relative general information.  I.E. Sod banks, Jetties, creek mouths, etc.  As I had said, I am not very experienced in catching weakfish and was looking for general areas and techniques to begin my search.  Sorry if it sounded as if I was asking for specific locations, that was not at all my intent.  

8 mins ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

I in no way expected (nor wanted) anyone to give me any specific spots or locations where they were catching weakies, more relative general information.  I.E. Sod banks, Jetties, creek mouths, etc.  As I had said, I am not very experienced in catching weakfish and was looking for general areas and techniques to begin my search.  Sorry if it sounded as if I was asking for specific locations, that was not at all my intent.  

Sod banks, jetties and creek mouths will all produce sometimes. I would go with whatever you are most comfortable with. 

I know some guys that chum with grass shrimp and throw shrimp flys with some success. They do that from a boat.