MakoMike

2019 proposed Federal Cod & haddock regs.

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the Gulf of Maine:
Haddock: 15 fish bag limit, 17 inch minimum size, season May 1 - Feb. 29 and April 15 - 30.
Cod: I fish bag limit, 21 inch minimum size, season Sept. 15 - 30 and April 15 - 30.

outside the Gulf of Maine:
Cod: 10 fish bag limit, 21 inch minimum size, open all year
Haddock: no regs, basically no bag limit, any size and open all year.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/actio...ce=govdelivery

Edited by MakoMike

53 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Well that's a start, and hopefully the data is correct that both the haddock and cod stocks are on the upswing. 

Haddock stocks have been on the upswing for the last 10 years. The only thing keeping recreational fishermen from having more liberal regs is the by catch of cod. Cod is growing but nowhere near as fast as the haddock stocks.

Last year on one trip aboard the Capt John Boats out of Plymouth cod were being released in the 20 to 30 pound range mixed in with the just barely haddock . At one point a few were actually banging more cod then haddock , but all went home with there share of fillets. They take care of those who serve and offer free trip to veterans occasionally. I was given two free passes and was able to take advantage on a nice trip

46 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

I hope the haddock stays at 12 fish per person.Would be nice to allow 1 cod per person.

It’s only 18 more you’ll have to cut Jessica. Let’s see times 35 trips 18 each trip. That’s only 630 more haddock that you’re gonna have to cut 

14 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

I hope the haddock stays at 12 fish per person.Would be nice to allow 1 cod per person.

Did you read what I posted?

It would be nice to have the state waters cod back.  A couple years ago, before us kayakers devastated the cod fishery causing it to close, we had fun catching them from the kayak.  Would be nice to have more than a 15 day window inshore.

3 hours ago, Slappy said:

It would be nice to have the state waters cod back.  A couple years ago, before us kayakers devastated the cod fishery causing it to close, we had fun catching them from the kayak.  Would be nice to have more than a 15 day window inshore.

I would expect that state of MA to adopt regs similar if not identical to the federal regs.