SaltyLocal

Mojo vs Airwave Elite vs Star action/feel

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can anyone please give me some action feel feedback when comparing the Mojo, Airwave Elite, and Star Stellar/Paraflex? In regards to their 3/4(1)-4oz ratings and 10’6” or 11’ models?

Im looking for a “not-so-stiff” rod that will load a max of 1-3 oz and a shrimp/sand flea. Out of the three brands listed, which do u recommend and why? Thanks SOL!

Edited by SaltyLocal

I have the mojo and the airwave elite. The mojo is a softer better balanced rod. The airwave 11footer is tip heavy, but well made, it is capable of a bit more distance, but the mojo is in no way a slouch.

1 hour ago, Seakarp said:

I have the mojo and the airwave elite. The mojo is a softer better balanced rod. The airwave 11footer is tip heavy, but well made, it is capable of a bit more distance, but the mojo is in no way a slouch.

Are you saying that the Airwave Elite 11' 1-4oz is a lot more stiffer than that of the Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4? I was leaning toward an Airwave Elite as it has the much desirable K-guides. Are the Mojo guides not as good?

I have the mojo 10’6” 3/4-4 oz and it loads well with 2-3 oz and small bait like fleas.  Would be good flea /pompano rod if you need long cast.  This rod has a softer tip than the 10’ 1-4 which I also have.  My only issue with mojos is that I have had 2 of the 3 I own develop loose reel seat.  I returned the first one under warranty, took 2 months to get a new one back.  The second time I drilled and glued it myself to fix it quick and forever.  

8 mins ago, JimJ said:

I have the mojo 10’6” 3/4-4 oz and it loads well with 2-3 oz and small bait like fleas.  Would be good flea /pompano rod if you need long cast.  This rod has a softer tip than the 10’ 1-4 which I also have.  My only issue with mojos is that I have had 2 of the 3 I own develop loose reel seat.  I returned the first one under warranty, took 2 months to get a new one back.  The second time I drilled and glued it myself to fix it quick and forever.  

Yes, I’ve heard about the Mojo reel seats. You’d think they’d of recalled them or at least fix the issues prior to selling more. I’m still undecided but I’m debating between the three rods I’ve mentioned. Wish the Airwave Elite wasn’t a stiffer rod. I’d buy it for it’s solid hardware but not sure I want to with people saying it’s a stiff rod.

Im hoping someone can chime in regarding the feel and action of the Star Stellar surf rod in the 10’6” or 11’. 

I can chime on different rods you may consider

Okuma Rockaway, 10' and 11', both rated 3/4 - 3 ounces. I have them both and love them

They also make them  in 1/2 - 2

For the price to performance ratio I would choose the Airwave Elite. 1oz - 1 1/2 oz is the sweet spot. The Star is definately a softer feel than the Tsunami and if your just throwing bait go with the Star. If your going to throw small metals and bucktails then go with the Tsunami. I own both so thats my 2 cents.  Enjoy

just go through the thread, so between these three, which one is the first pick? I'm considering to get 1 of these three, but still not sure which one.

Edited by Fishing Daddy
add more comment

1102m airwave elite is a pencil popping rod. Fast tip solid backbone. Mojo is better all around except for the 10 foot broomstick.  No idea about the paraflex.

4 hours ago, amnosis said:

1102m airwave elite is a pencil popping rod. Fast tip solid backbone. Mojo is better all around except for the 10 foot broomstick.  No idea about the paraflex.

I thought typical pencil popping rods have a slower action? Yet here you're saying 1102m with a “fast tip” is good for pencil popping? 

Having said that. What does the OP want to use the rod for? For throwing bait or plugs?

Edited by Nick T

I own the 10'6" Airwave Elite and have handled the 10'6" Mojo .

I would say that the Mojo is slightly softer in the tip.  Both nice rods.

I really like my Airwave .  I use it to cast SP minnows and pencil poppers.

It's not your typical pencil popper rod, as you had mentioned earlier, as it's not slow enough.  Having said that, it still does a pretty good job.

I have not fished or handled a Star Rod