Refinish or laminate?

Rate this topic

flyrad10

Here are a few pictures of the floors in my house? Would you experts on flooring  refinish these floors or put down a laminate. The floors in the house are hardwood but the living room floor was painted white and the scratched badly by me moving furniture, the hallway was abused with linoleum tiles and in the master bedroom no drop cloths were used in a painting job before I bought the house. Everything looked good on move day because the hideous archeological layers of stupidity were hidden by what came to be discovered as an equally hideous wall to wall carpeting that became unraveled with vacuuming. Would you: 1. pay a pro refinisher 2. DIY refinish by renting a sander at Hd or somewhere 3. Put down locking wood laminate or vinyl laminate floating floor 4. Sell house and move into a geodesic dome or something else?

52C3D620-FFE7-4562-BA85-3232580AF6B0.jpeg

0EA17180-9EE1-4BD1-9400-E14CC0F15141.jpeg

04F07CBF-1CB9-4CBF-9168-88F039A572F6.jpeg

1 hour ago, nightfighter said:

Get a floor refinisher or two to quote the job. They will tell you if there is enough there for them to sand down

Betcha dollars to donuts that them floors have never seen a sander. If you cover them floors back up you will lose any ROI you could possibly get. And I'd say shame on you for doing that.  Like said, get a couple floor guys to quote you, then break down the numbers of you versus them doing it. That old wood just needs some loving, and then it will shine and make you the hero.

You won't know what's under the paint until you sand it. Pet urine stains can present a big problem when refinishing hardwood floors. You should discuss this scenario when getting your quotes. Board replacement or going with a very dark wood stain over the entire floor might be your only options.

Who knows maybe the wood under that paint is pristine.

I've been retired for a few but my cost for sanding/refinishing a floor was $10 sq/ft. My cost for a cheap over-the-top laminate floor was also about $10 sq Ft installed including glue. Cost near equal but one way you have a beautiful oak floor with about 5/8 inch remaining and the other way you have a cheap floor that's 3/8" to 1/2" higher than all the floors it butts up against. This requires saddles, transition strips and maybe cutting doors. I would have the floor professionally refinished.  Just my $.02

Ed Panzella

"BAITS MOTEL" - 2450 Maycraft Pilothouse

Higganum, Ct

Hmnnnnn, a few things....

-Watch that linoleum, is it asbestos?

-There seems to be a moisture issue under the linoleum. After you have removed the tiles, does the floor dry out to a uniform color?

-Does the floor look to be the same wood species throughout the area to be redone?

-A properly refinished wood floor will put laminate to shame, especially because it looks like your floor has never been refinished before. A pro that does a good job will leave you gabberflasted at the results.

By the way, whoever globbed paint all over the floor should have their b@lls cut off for not putting a drop cloth down. They were as motivated as a castrated three-toed sloth under general anesthesia.

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101