JALCF

Bucktailing around mung/weed

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Oldroe said:

Snapping your bucktail threw weeds is a trigger for fish.

Learn to slow your swim down catch the weeds and snap.

Fortunately, I don't encounter them much, and when I do, I think a move is most in order.  

Still, that trick could be handy at times.  

Upon further thought, a Tex-posed rigged giant Senko (Largest size is quite f-ing big), or Texas rigged Senko might be better if you had to fish through some salad.

A weedless jig would be kinda nice, wouldn't it.  Still, the kelp balls out here on the west coast present somewhat of a challenge.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:08 PM, codfish said:

good advise:):)

P1120352-New-small.jpg

Hurley Heads !!................You must be related................

The wire we would use around the jig would be made from spring steel and if done right should allow you a little fish time. OLd Goats idea is also another way to fish a plug under some conditions.

We also many years ago would see the fins of large fish near the surface among the mong and were unable to hook up, until and it take good casting skills to do and taking alternative casts. Try casting out as far as you can and as you are retrieving have some one else cast in as close to where the line you were making with your cast. and begin to work the plug . If you are a precise caster and can hit the open water where your buddy is reeling you just might get lucky to hook up. Once your buddy reels his up and cleans of the mung with a hookless plug who knows ? We have used this method on the beach with success if you are patient and can learn how to work together as a team . WE have always believed that no situation is absolutely impossible , unlikely yes, but impossible. The real problem is once you hook a fish of size they will load up with mung and it is really a drag and reel fight , especially if it big momma . This is not light weight fishing gear fishing by far. Good luck for sure. 

On 5/11/2019 at 8:02 AM, oldgoat said:

Be it swimmer plug or buck tail try putting a blood knot in your leader about 20" above your lure.

Make sure the tag ends are about a half inch long to snag the weed before it covers your lure.

THIS WILL KEEP THE MUSTACH OFF YOUR PLUG LONG ENOUGH FOR THAT STRIKE!!!!!

If the weed is to heavy , go home or have a rest.

Sir, that is the best idea that I have ever heard.  Why did I not think of that??  When weed is a nuisance we/I used to tie a small treble about 5" above the bucktail. This sometimes helped.   Notice, I said bucktail because the treble cannot ruin the action.  On a swimmer, that's another story.  Your post re The Knot is something I am going to try. It will not interfere with the action of a swimmer. Thank you Sir for posting.  It just goes to show you that after being this game for over 50 years you Can Always Learn Something New.Thanks again for posting.

sb

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/11/2019 at 7:22 PM, BrianBM said:

So will a change of location. 

What he said.

Some times you just have to go to a different spot. I fished a beach yesterday that was all munged up from the rain event and the wind out of the east. Even poppers got fouled up as soon as they hit the water. 

After a few casts I headed to a different beach.

Edited by zak-striper

3 hours ago, Stripedbass50lbs said:

Sir, that is the best idea that I have ever heard.  Why did I not think of that??  When weed is a nuisance we/I used to tie a small treble about 5" above the bucktail. This sometimes helped.   Notice, I said bucktail because the treble cannot ruin the action.  On a swimmer, that's another story.  Your post re The Knot is something I am going to try. It will not interfere with the action of a swimmer. Thank you Sir for posting.  It just goes to show you that after being this game for over 50 years you Can Always Learn Something New.Thanks again for posting.

sb

Old goat  has filed more than you can know in ones lifetime . Living in another time on the beach sort of recalls some of the old tricks we all once would employ to keep on truckin to catch a few fish when ever we see questions posted here as such it brings back those memories of another time that need to be passed on and shared. Thank you for thanking my old Friend Peter Skipper[Old Goat] he has seen his share of nice beach fish over the years as well as from the boat of Nauset

On 5/10/2019 at 4:04 PM, Billwetzel said:

If the bucktails are not working because of mung then switch to something else. Let the conditions dictate what to fish. Also try fishing the buck higher in the water column by with quicker retrieves or lighter bucks. If a place is all munged out i generally move elsewhere. Good luck! 

You know, I've had this idea hanging in the back of my mind that at times I might me forcing myself to fish a jig when it's just not necessary. I just might need to find a better location to put it to practice. Although, this past weekend I snagged 2 bass on a 3/4oz but they both shook me off, caught me off guard and didn't set the hook well enough. I also picked up some 1/2oz to try out.

Thanks for the advice Mr. Wetzel.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:02 AM, oldgoat said:

Be it swimmer plug or buck tail try putting a blood knot in your leader about 20" above your lure.

Make sure the tag ends are about a half inch long to snag the weed before it covers your lure.

THIS WILL KEEP THE MUSTACH OFF YOUR PLUG LONG ENOUGH FOR THAT STRIKE!!!!!

If the weed is to heavy , go home or have a rest.

This is an interesting idea, I'll need to set up a leader this way and give it a try.

Thank you.

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

This past weekend I went back to the pencil and caught my best fish so far. I'll be putting what I've picked up here in this thread to work this weekend.

Joseph

D6TjYaPXkAA_ZvH.jpg large.jpg