JALCF

Bucktailing around mung/weed

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hello all,

It's probably safe to assume I'm new to striper fishing by the title of this post. I wanted to see what your thoughts are about using a bucktail when the veggies are floating.

To give you an idea of the area I'm targeting, I'm fishing a river mouth on the beach as well as a bit up river where the shore allows. I've had most of my success on the slack at the end of the high tide on top water and glide baits. However, any attempt to throw a bucktail will foul up my jig, especially when there is current or I drop too deep. I eventually put the bucktails back in my bag and get discouraged with them.

So what are some of your tips or ideas about jigging around mung and/or seaweed? Do you even bother pulling a jig out under these conditions? Has there been a situation where it has been productive for you?

Thanks,

Joseph

I jig them like normal and when I feel some salad getting caught up, I give my rod a good yank to try to rip the jig through. 

Or I just find another spot to fish.

When the weed is thick like that, you really only get a shot at the fish when the tide slows down before the change. Any other time you jig will be fowled up before it gets to the bottom.

If the bucktails are not working because of mung then switch to something else. Let the conditions dictate what to fish. Also try fishing the buck higher in the water column by with quicker retrieves or lighter bucks. If a place is all munged out i generally move elsewhere. Good luck! 

Swimming a bucktail is like swimming a swim bait just keep going lighter until you can ruffle the weeds and not hang.

Choose a jig with eye at front. I use banana heads. 

During another time we often would secure a thin wire from the eye of the hook to over the barb it helped if you do it right Like a fresh water frog lure to make it weedless

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

During another time we often would secure a thin wire from the eye of the hook to over the barb it helped if you do it right Like a fresh water frog lure to make it weedless

good advise:):)

P1120352-New-small.jpg

Be it swimmer plug or buck tail try putting a blood knot in your leader about 20" above your lure.

Make sure the tag ends are about a half inch long to snag the weed before it covers your lure.

THIS WILL KEEP THE MUSTACH OFF YOUR PLUG LONG ENOUGH FOR THAT STRIKE!!!!!

If the weed is to heavy , go home or have a rest.

1 hour ago, oldgoat said:

Be it swimmer plug or buck tail try putting a blood knot in your leader about 20" above your lure.

Make sure the tag ends are about a half inch long to snag the weed before it covers your lure.

THIS WILL KEEP THE MUSTACH OFF YOUR PLUG LONG ENOUGH FOR THAT STRIKE!!!!!

Same idea but I tied off a couple of "tag ends" from my swivel protruding sideways in opposite directions to pre-catch the weed

1 hour ago, oldgoat said:

Or

Change a spot.

Warm couch with cold beer may make you feel better.

16 hours ago, codfish said:

good advise:):)

P1120352-New-small.jpg

I guessed that was Savage gear, but just Googled and don’t see that they make one. Is that your own or a Tin Man?  Who makes that thing?  I think I need to get one. Could be very handy at times.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

I guessed that was Savage gear, but just Googled and don’t see that they make one. Is that your own or a Tin Man?  Who makes that thing?  I think I need to get one. Could be very handy at times.

It looks like a Hurley jig head. It would probably help with sea lettuce or eel grass. I'm not sure it would help with mung. 

I never liked using them much to my regret but live eels have worked very well for friends in medium density munged areas.

Sometimes the weeds are near the surface and other times near the bottom. Using lures with a running depth to match the conditions can be successful.

If the mung isn't too thick often it would congregate on the swivel rather than the lure.

Edited by snookster
add text

JALCF, welcome to SOL.

Pay attention to Bill Wetzel's thoughts, in any thread where you see them.  He's a surf guide. 

My own $0.02 is that I don't fish jigs in areas with heavy weed. A floating plug will do. So will a change of location.