zak-striper

CT river breeding

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I know I've talked about this on SOL before, but I don't remember if it had it's own thread.

Every spring really big cows are caught on the CT river. I know a 50lber was caught a few years ago. I've been seeing 20, 30 lb+ fish being posted on Facebook the last couple of weeks.

I'm not a marine biologist but I can't help but think there's a genetic line of stripers that spawn, or attempt to spawn in the CT river. It's long enough. It has plenty of tributaries. The only obstruction would be the dams on the river or some of the tributaries.

I know there are shad in the river. We used to fish for them during the spring when I was a kid in Chicopee. I'm not sure if there are any herring runs in the river. If there are, between the shad and the herring, the fish definitely have a motivation to be in the river...food!

Has a breeding strain of stripers ever been attributed to the CT river?

I have heard from some old timers the there used to be  breeding population in the river before it was damned, but some CT fishery biologists have told me that it isn't possible for them to successfully spawn in the river today. 

10 mins ago, MakoMike said:

but some CT fishery biologists have told me that it isn't possible for them to successfully spawn in the river today. 

Before the dams definitely seems do-able, the CT river is longer than the Hudson. The CT river also has a lot of tribs. 

I asked a guy I took holdover fishing  a few years back  about  this because of the numbers of holdovers in this  river we fished …….. I didn,t really believe all he said on holdovers . that being  many holdover because there  are two many in eith er Hudson or   Chessie  ………..  He said that  they can carry the eggs up to two cycles & that these fish would be replaced by others the next fall >>>>>>>>>>>    I have no clue , except on my next trip there  I caught two with Hudson River tags …. which doesn,t tell me anything because they pay the $5 quick  but never send the information on the fish ,

I know   that the places that I have primary fished for the last 25 years or so ….. were both void of holdovers this past winter ……………..yet I,ve seen a bunch of post on  sites & facebook  that guys believe that they are catching holdovers  , because they are dark & don,t have sea lice ><><>

1 hour ago, zak-striper said:

Has a breeding strain of stripers ever been attributed to the CT river?

I don't know if there is a regular returning population that calls the Ct river home or not.

but I do know that stripers successfully spawn and breed in the CT river.

Posted (edited) · Report post

spring run on the CT used to be absolutely epic....the cross over of pike and bass was an added benefit..actually planning my trip right now. 

I forget the specifics but the "no" crowd always talked something about the salt line, and not having enough distance up river,  with deep water like there is in the Hudson (where they go up much further)..or some chit....I don't really remember the specifics but someone will...

Edited by HugeDinghy

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

spring run on the CT used to be absolutely epic....the cross over of pike and bass was an added benefit..actually planning my trip right now. 

I forget the specifics but the "no" crowd always talked something about the salt line, and not having enough distance up river,  with deep water like there is in the Hudson (where they go up much further)..or some chit....I don't really remember the specifics but someone will...

You have a good memory. The biologists I talked to said that there was not enough of the river above the salt/freshwater line to allow the eggs to hatch before they hit the salt water. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are the new counts for this year, there is a lot of water moving through the river now

Screenshot_20190517-130221_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Vaporizor

On 5/10/2019 at 3:43 PM, MakoMike said:

You have a good memory. The biologists I talked to said that there was not enough of the river above the salt/freshwater line to allow the eggs to hatch before they hit the salt water. 

they need 48 hours of float time

I have seen spawning taking place in Chicopee. It’s rare and In no way even contributes a percentage to the stock.....but it does successfully happen some years