Only On A Fly

Sorrento Italy

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Dino,  sounds like a fantastic trip!  I have a friend from Rome whose son fly fishes.  Will ask to see if he has any suggestions and let you know.  Wish I was going!

I've been there several times and never saw anyone fishing, much less fly fishing.  I'd just lay back and enjoy the culture and food.  Don't miss day trips to Pompeii and Positano.  There is also a high speed ferry to Capri.  If you'd like, I can recommend some really good restaurants in all those places, except Pompeii of course, everyone in the old city is dead. Feel free to touch base with me via PM.

Spig

I’ve been in the area for 4 years. I’m yet to catch anything of substance... If you want to take a fishing trip you’re better off using worms near Positsno or go to the island of Procida or Ischia. There are barracuda there but haven’t caught any. I do have a couple friends who go after tiny bream and sea bass near Salerno but they don’t catch too much either.

You could also go out on a charter boat out of Pozzuoli or Naples but they’re pretty expensive from what I’ve heard.

That being said, it’s not worth the effort to your gear and 99% get skunked anyways. Better off using your time and making day trips around the area.

p.s. Sorrento is the biggest tourist trap out of the amalfi coast and the restaraunts will rip you off at every turn so keep an eye out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fly fishing/sportfishing in Naples is not an inherent part of the culture.  Freediving and spearfishing are far more prevalent.  That being said, you will find pockets of serious fly fishers throughout the bay of Naples (medflyfish).

Big blues, albacore, are all there....

Edited by Squish

I was in Sorrento, Capri, Positano last Sept 24 to October 4th for my honeymoon.  My wife and I hired a guy to take us on a boat tour of Capri.  I saw two blitzes within a thousand yards of Capri.......the Capt told me it was "Tonno" (Tuna).  Probably albacore???  Anyway....while we were on our tour, the Capt was using a hand line and was trolling a hook with blue and white bucktail on it. It  looked more like a teaser than a fly and was old and beat up.  I plan on tying him some new "flies" for his handline and sending them to him, I kept his card and contact info b/c the boat ride was incredible.  He took us to all the grottos, which were "closed" and had no tourists waiting and let us jump over board and swim in all of them. He never ended up hooking anything.  I saw another blitz not far offshore on the ferry ride back to Positano from Almafi.  I'm not sure of any guides in the area or what exactly will be running, but I know that last year I was there at the end of Sept and there were fish, unfortunately I was on my honeymoon and did even bring up fishing for the sake of my marriage.

Went to Rome, Positano, Capri and Sorrento for my honeymoon a few years back dont remember seeing anyone fish.  I can recommend some places to eat, a driver and tour of the Almafi region

On 5/10/2019 at 7:10 AM, Only On A Fly said:

Anyone have info on fly fishing guides in Sorrento Italy? Going 1st week of October. 

Thanks in advance. 

I don't have info on a guide, I just fly fished from the shore and was successful. Just find a spot to get on the water and you will have success if you know what you are doing. It is a ton of fun and the locals are very curious. There is a pier right in the hub of town on the water. when you get there you will know what I mean. There are a bunch of restaurants on a beach and fishing boats lined up just off the beach. The pier is off to the lookers left. I had success there with some different sized clouser minows. Have fun! You will catch fish.

Edited by fish406

22 mins ago, fish406 said:

I don't have info on a guide, I just fly fished from the shore and was successful. Just find a spot to get on the water and you will have success if you know what you are doing. It is a ton of fun and the locals are very curious. There is a pier right in the hub of town on the water. when you get there you will know what I mean. There are a bunch of restaurants on a beach and fishing boats lined up just off the beach. The pier is off to the lookers left. I had success there with some different sized clouser minows. Have fun! You will catch fish.

Thanks for the info

If you bring a 5 wt you could probably have fun next to (IMHO) the best restaurant in Sorrento, Emilia, down on docs. While eating I watched people handline fish off the pier and docs. Small shrimp pattern or baitfish would probably work. Its goegouse down on that side on the water. Amazing Food. Try and have hotel make reservations for Emilia. Its extremely popular. Great for sunsets.