Richard G

Daiwa Ballistic compared to Saltiga

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So I’ve had my eyes on the Saltiga 4000h now for a while. Now I read all these raving reviews on the Ballistic. 

So let’s say I would buy the Ballistic 6000. In terms of braid capacity it’s almost the same as the Saltiga. In weight it’s almost 5 oz lighter than the Saltiga and drag is even 4 lb more. All according to the marketing materials of course. 

So where would the Ballistic fall short? Smoothness? Water tightness? Or less rigid for fighting bigger and stronger fish? 

Value your opinion SOL. 

Have both in different sizes...the saltiga is just well built feels much more solid...ballistic is a great reel don’t get me wrong but it’s not a saltiga.  Smoothness I feel it’s a tossup but saltiga is definitely more rigid and I bet it’s more watertight and will last a lot longer and hold value much better

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Richard G said:

So I’ve had my eyes on the Saltiga 4000h now for a while. Now I read all these raving reviews on the Ballistic. 

So let’s say I would buy the Ballistic 6000. In terms of braid capacity it’s almost the same as the Saltiga. In weight it’s almost 5 oz lighter than the Saltiga and drag is even 4 lb more. All according to the marketing materials of course. 

So where would the Ballistic fall short? Smoothness? Water tightness? Or less rigid for fighting bigger and stronger fish? 

Value your opinion SOL. 

if im not mistaken, theres a JDM version of ballistic which is made in japan.. not sure about the price tho between the regular ballistic and JDM version

which year of saltiga ?

Edited by Tourstage
edited

37 mins ago, Tourstage said:

if im not mistaken, theres a JDM version of ballistic which is made in japan.. not sure about the price tho between the regular ballistic and JDM version

which year of saltiga ?

If you are looking at the ballistic 6000 us and jdm versions. Please do your self a favor and look at the Daiwa theory 4000h... A few critical difference besides weight from these three LT type of reels versus the saltiga is - the saltiga is a manual bail and more mag sealing. 

I have a ballistic and an isla, and they are just different reels for different applications.

Ballistic is light and finesse (have put a few 30"+ stripers on a 3000 though) and the isla is my canal reel. The ballistic isn't as water tight and the rotor flexes under load. It has gotten wet and the only issue so far has been the roller bearing (a little oil fixed it). The isla is a tank. My 4000 could land a tuna but it's also 15oz. That's 9 heavier than my 3000 ballistic lt.

On 10/05/2019 at 10:17 AM, CrashHard23 said:

If you are looking at the ballistic 6000 us and jdm versions. Please do your self a favor and look at the Daiwa theory 4000h... A few critical difference besides weight from these three LT type of reels versus the saltiga is - the saltiga is a manual bail and more mag sealing. 

was considering theory only until i crank luvias at the tackleshop and bought the luvias instead.. luvias feel smoother than theory imo..just a few $ more than theory and its made in japan..

Saltiga designed for saltwater, cut aluminum, SS gears, magsealed in 11 places, made to be fished for pelagics and bigger gamefish that scream drag.

Ballistic, designed for fresh, but can be used on salt.  Body is ziaon which is super strong carbon composite, light and strong, but not Tuna or 40lb bass strong, no matter the size.  Magsealed in 1 spot.  Great gears, but not cut SS.

I use the Ballistic on the beach on my 9footer for schoolies and on the boat for fluke, sea bass etc.  Saltiga is for big fish, pelagic fish, and other areas where compromise is not in the cards.

On 10/05/2019 at 10:17 AM, CrashHard23 said:

what the differences between theory and these LT series of reel ?

On 14/05/2019 at 3:02 PM, Tourstage said:

The Caldia LT looks to have a Zaion rotor. Curiously, Daiwa says this rotor is made of DS5. Daiwa might have the specification wrong because it looks a lot like Zaion.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, Shipwreck said:

Saltiga designed for saltwater, cut aluminum, SS gears, magsealed in 11 places, made to be fished for pelagics and bigger gamefish that scream drag.

Ballistic, designed for fresh, but can be used on salt.  Body is ziaon which is super strong carbon composite, light and strong, but not Tuna or 40lb bass strong, no matter the size.  Magsealed in 1 spot.  Great gears, but not cut SS.

I use the Ballistic on the beach on my 9footer for schoolies and on the boat for fluke, sea bass etc.  Saltiga is for big fish, pelagic fish, and other areas where compromise is not in the cards.

Have you gotten any larger fish on the ballistic? So far only schoolies and small keepers for me but it seemed like it was nothing for the ballistic. Whereas I also have a similar sized BG  which doesn't seem as strong as the ballistic. 

Striper to 20-25lbs personally.  I hear of many guys using them for harder and bigger up and down the coast.   The BG of similar size is probably stronger believe it or not.  BGs are built to be heavy and simple.  Brute force.  Metal body, big main gear, and a bit larger handle.  Think of it like a basic F150.  What you miss is the refinement the Ballistic offers, Very light and still tough.  It has better gearing, better bearings, better design.  Think of it as a F150 Lariat Crew Cab.  

On 5/16/2019 at 10:12 AM, Reed422 said:

Have you gotten any larger fish on the ballistic? So far only schoolies and small keepers for me but it seemed like it was nothing for the ballistic. Whereas I also have a similar sized BG  which doesn't seem as strong as the ballistic. 

I don't know what sizes are available, but it sounds like a certate LT might be the reel you're looking for. There's been a lot of conjecture over the release date of this reel. I was told mine was a happy accident, but I asked around and our distributor has more in stock. Traditionally the 4000hd has been the largest size available. I've been fishing it for about a  month and I absolutely love it. Aluminum monocog frame, zaion rotor, mag sealed, and half the price of a saltiga.

20190428_125430.jpg