Nomans Island, US F&W, Ma F&W, cottontails

Rate this topic

bob_G

Channel 4 did a real cool segment last night on a cottontail restoration program taking place on Nomans. They stocked 13 cottontails in an effort to establish a breeding stock. 

The segment began with them landing on Nomans.  On the beach, you guessed it, seals. I couldn't believe the number if seals. No doubt an established colony.  With the colony on the Penekese increasing, I imagine GWs will be regular Buzzards Bay visitors.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Yes, it was used as a target range by the U.S. Navy and they say that there is plenty of unexploded ordinance lying around. Let's hope the seals find it!

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

Unexploded ordnance was one of the topics duscussed on the segment. While unsafe for human foot traffic, rabbits are too light to detonate anything. 

The plan us to use Nomans as a breeding ground for cottontails. There are no predators, so they can breed to their heart's content. Then, they will trap some, and reintroduce them in areas  where they previously thrived.

The Sultan of Sluggo

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

... they will trap some, and reintroduce them in areas  where they previously thrived.

Curious..... I must be missing something here.....what is the benefit in reintroducing them in areas where they previously thrived?

14 mins ago, Joe G said:

Curious..... I must be missing something here.....what is the benefit in reintroducing them in areas where they previously thrived?

All animals serve a role in the ecosystem. The once hyper abundant cottontail is on the verge of disappearing. This low budget program may bring them back from the brink.

The Sultan of Sluggo

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

All animals serve a role in the ecosystem. The once hyper abundant cottontail is on the verge of disappearing. This low budget program may bring them back from the brink.

Not unless they can swim from the island to the mainland. Except for birds the island is pretty much a self-contained ecosystem.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

I gather from your response that you are unable to tell me what "role" this rodent will play in the areas where they previously thrived. 

12 mins ago, gray gables said:

It gives someone a job. More wasted money by the government. 

Not at all farfetched.

We have rabbits on our property in downtown Boston.  A number of owners lovingly refer to them as "their little bunnies", but truth be told, they are destroying the beds of newly blossoming flowers and ground cover in our open area.  

These rodents only eat, breed and destroy much of what we plant.  They serve no purpose.

8 mins ago, Joe G said:

Not at all farfetched.

We have rabbits on our property in downtown Boston.  A number of owners lovingly refer to them as "their little bunnies", but truth be told, they are destroying the beds of newly blossoming flowers and ground cover in our open area.  

These rodents only eat, breed and destroy much of what we plant.  They serve no purpose.

Lots of rabbits up my way also. But my dogs keep them in check. 

Joe I watched the release the other day and from what they tell every one these rabbits are native to our state? They actually did a dna test to verify that fact or so they told every one.

The fact that Nomans has unexploded ordinance still on the island and they told all that the rabbits will not set them of as they are to light, but when the time comes they will come back and trap some so that they transfer to other habitat in the state for what ever reason. So once they re trap some, I suppose the Rabbit hunters will be sitting with the turkey hunters among the ticks trying to get one. 

They claim that they have no natural predators on the island , however I would question that comment as Hawks and especially Eagles have been seen and what about any four legged animals that may have swam over from the Vineyard . They can not make any real survey because of all of the un exploded ordinances and it is just a small part of the beach that they have cleared for such activities .

One can also see that the seals have set up colonies on Nomans and once again as pointed above will draw Great Whites at some point if they have not done so already/

Judging from the amount of work they did to capture and feed these rabbits so far it looks like some money was expended to make this work. They spent a great deal of advertisement on this project as well/ 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal