DeepCastMike

Sandy Hook Today Results

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, so went to sandy hook to surf fish from 5-9am. It was rough water, heavy wind blowing in so casting was rough. Not 1 bite not 1 hit. I felt like i was doing something wrong. I threw poppers, diamond jigs,Needle, Ava's. I even tried the bay side but too much seaweed. Like i said im a newbie and learning. Any suggestions what what i should of thrown out there? Bucktails 3oz? Any advice is appreciated.

From the surf?

Ive never thrown a bucktail from the surf in excess of 2oz. I usually throw 3/4 or 1 oz jetty caster style (see Bullethead bucktails made by Dan the Tinman)

I would have thrown bucktails, shads, topwater (pencils and poppers), SP minnows, mag darters, and TINS/METALS during the day.

I highly suggest that you learn the bait progressions in NJ so you can anticipate the type of bait SHOULD be in the area. THEN, I would go to a local tackle shop and spend a couple of bucks and pick the guys brain about what type of bait is in the area. Try Giglios for that area in moco. THEN I would throw certain plugs that "match the hatch"... Oh bunker? How about I throw metal lips, bucktails, SP minnows, shads... etc.

Good luck. Blues are in the area and you would do well throwing croc spoons.

+1 on Giglio's. The father, Ernie" will talk to you all day. Nice guy.

Swim shads always work well in SH, but if blues are in, they won't last long.

Ava's are good for blues. Also play with your retrieve speed.

2 mins ago, fdhog said:

Swim shads always work well in SH, but if blues are in, they won't last long.

Ava's are good for blues. Also play with your retrieve speed.

how would you retrieve? fast? slow?

I doubt you were doing anything wrong. Sandy hook is mostly a dead zone in the recent years for striped bass. The beaches are shallow and there are only a few spots that hold fish if you are lucky enough to be there at the right time. All the replenishment sand from the south ends up at SH. Some spots are literally 1 foot deep out to about 50 yards.

The trick is you have to find the holes. There are some really wide and long bars close to the beach everywhere. Go there during low tide and scope it out. Avoid those areas unless it is really high tide. The bars don't move much there for some reason unless we have huge storms. Throw light lures and don't drag bottom. Leave your 10-11 foot rods at home. You will be much more comfortable throwing 7-8 foot rods. The fish will be at your feet 99% of the time.

I have been fishing SH day and night for the last couple of years. I am also stubborn. Some days are good, but most are skunks.

There's no set rule. Stripers are lazy. Blues usually will hit almost anything that moves.

You just have to try different things on each cast till you find something that works. Some days, NOTHING works.

Learn to read the beach... Check out rich troxlers videos on youtube.

99% of the fish will be locked onto prime structure whether its soft or hard

1 hour ago, fdhog said:

Sadly I heard Ernie took a fall and the doctor said no more driving, I still hope someone brings him into the shop from time to time. Ernie is a treasure. The guy in there filling in for Ernie seems like a good guy.

Everyone has given good advice. One thing that hasnt been mentioned is..when you're fishing the open beach its a really good idea to keep moving. Stay mobile and keep fishing the various forms of structure. 

Today you fished with a strong east wind. That is another thing to definitely take note of. East win typically at sandy hook results in a lot of white water and bigger waves vs say a west wind. With a east wind you are also casting into the wind in almost every spot. Personally when fishing an east win at sandy hook my go to lure is a bucktail. Typically i throw 3/4-1oz however with todays east wind and bigger surf I could have see myself throwing something a bit heavier. As other have mentioned, for me sandy hook is primarily a spot i like to fish around high tide, personally i have found that finding structure especially structure that results in deeper water is crucial. I did not fish today but i assume that if you tossed a bucktail into some deeper water you could have definitely found bluefish or bass. Anyways good luck and i hope that made a little bit of sense.

Were there other fishermen out there, were they catching and you not. If so, just  stand back and watch what there throwing and how they are fishing. Some guys might let you in on what there doing, and some won’t. Throw sp’s, magdarters, metals, bucktail.  If know one was catching, then you didn’t miss anything. If you were alone, just enjoy it, because if there were fish around you would have 30 friends fishing next to you

Sandy Hook is like Fight Club. The first rule of Sandy Hook is .....:howdy:.  Keep fishing and walking and watching...eventually it works out.

One hint, if your at the tip DONT wade out, its 20 feet deep 10 ‘ out. And, if a oil tanker comes by, get out of the water. The water will disappear from your feet and the tanker  tsunami will rise up and you will be swimming with the fish. And your only hope is if someone can hit you with a bunker snag from the beach.