Lou G

Be careful out there

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Just a reminder for us old guys as well as you young guys. A couple of days ago my buddy was about 100 yards up the beach. He got knocked down and almost couldn't get up the waves kept hitting him. I didn't even see it, I was too far away. I was almost caught myself a number of times. These NE winds, it only takes a second of not paying attention. Be safe!

Found myself swimming, rod in hand, after watersliding down some rocks the other day.  Def a wake up call to pay closer attention to what's going on behind me 

For anyone fishing the sod banks. I can't even imagine the miles I've walked on these spongy banks that line our back bay waters. Not for fishing but for nature watching. 

There is one basic rule that I have found that is 100% of the time. Short grass is firm ground and tall grass is soft and muddy. soft enough to swallow your feet like quicksand and sucking your boots right off your feet or even worse, not letting go of your feet. 

Even the short grass more solid ground can be dangerous especially right along the edge of the water. Boat wakes and wind waves are constantly pounding the banks. The grasses hold the ground together but where the roots stop the water will wash away the ground under the bank. When I would walk the sod I could feel the ground get bouncy like a trampoline. I was on solid ground but it was like a sheet of ice over water. Take a close look at sod banks especially where there is deep water at the edge. You will see large sections that are pulling free and leaning over ready to fall. There is no ground under the edge to hold the sod bank in place and it eventually just rips free and sinks. This happens just from it's own weight so you add a person walking on top and even flat sections can just break free and drop in along with anyone on top. 

When I walk the sods I do a little test every few minutes. I don't jump up and down but I will lightly bounce on the balls of my feet. If I feel the sod bouncing back I walk softly.   

Another warning. This is for castnetters. A few years ago I was walking our docks after dark ready to net some peanuts. Peanut bunker are food and big fish follow them. I was alone and was ready to make my first throw on a decent size school right off the end of a finger pier. Had the end loop around my wrist and made the throw. I was so lucky that there was a piling right next to me because when the net hit the water I was almost pulled right off the finger. I was lucky enough to grab the piling with my left arm an instant before I would have been yanked in. Seems there was a big fish and I mean big right under the peanuts and I hit it with the net. For about ten seconds me and this fish pulled on each other with water flying in every direction. The big fish finally pulled free a few seconds before I would have tried to cut the line. Wrist was red and sore for a few days. Now when I go out to throw the net I make sure the first few throws are without the end loop around my wrist. I figure after a few throws I have probably spooked anything big away but I'm still careful. I think back on that night and I believe what I hit was a large cow nose that was moving in for a meal of peanuts.