Rkfool

Bunker advice please!

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So there is a spot I frequent close to home in the bay. It’s a night time only spot, my schoolie spot basically. When I plan to fish this location generally I bring smaller lures. Keitech’s, 1/2 oz or less buck tails, unweighted plastics and the such. I have caught many bass there but never one over 26”. This spring it’s been loaded and I mean loaded with adult bunker. Generally the seem unmolested but sporadically I witness some large splashes so I’m pretty sure there being preyed upon somewhat. In this location the water is almost always flowing right to left and to my left is a bridge, so this limits my casting presentation a little as far as being able to fish with or against the current. I’ve thrown larger stuff trying to match the hatch of big adult bunker but have had zero success doing so.  Finally! If you made it this far my question is what would you throw in this situation? And are you retrieving with or against the current? Does that usually matter?

6" or 9" swim shad. Cast into the current, either way it's going to sweep your lure and you'll end up reeling against it anyway. You could always try snagging the bunker and live lining them if lures fail. 

So where you are, depends on what you do.  My philosophy is you always go for broke... heavy current with bunker around I fish darters and bottles. Tide slacks and  I fish gliders and then Danny's. Nothing better than falling asleep slowly retrieving a Danny and having the rod ripped out of your hand 

Based on the background you provided big fish don’t frequent this location. However due to the amount of adult bunker there are at least a few larger predators feeding on the adult bunker. Since you mention the area is “loaded” I wouldn’t try throwing the imitation plugs. The larger predators are strictly there due to the adult bunker and the bunker is plentiful.

It’s very difficult to get the larger bass and blues to hit the imitation when 1) there is not a large number of big bass and blues and 2) the bait source (adult bunker) is so plentiful.

I may be in the minority but I love the art of live lining bunker and chunking as well. 

Snag and drop is just not my style or something I find much enjoyment from. Last thing I want is that big ole treble lodged in the throat of a fish. I also hate carrying two rods (one with the snag and the other to re-rig). Although I understand that may be the best approach to actually landing a fish and I may have to just bite the bullet and bring two rods out. Oddly enough throwing a swim shad here I never get so much as a tap.  Appreciate all the input

On 5/8/2019 at 10:19 PM, Rkfool said:

And are you retrieving with or against the current? Does that usually matter?

The idea is to make the bait look like it's being pushed and swimming

with the current and somehow sweeping over a ledge or structure where

there's a predator waiting to ambush it's prey. Maybe? :)

Big shads would be my choice also.. large bucktails would be another . Not necessarily heavy depending on depth and current but large profile .. a large bottle or darter could be another option or even a bomber or so ... but it’s a tough call without more info on characteristics of said spot 

On 5/8/2019 at 10:19 PM, Rkfool said:

..what would you throw in this situation?

And are you retrieving with or against the current?

Ex-wife and no retrieve.

:howdy:

54 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

A live eel

Funny you say that, the biggest bass I’ve brought in from this location was on a live eel while bass were beating up on peanuts early one fall

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just to clarify my post.... I am not suggesting snag and drop nor bringing two rods. The set up I use on adult bunker is a snag and quick re rig to 8-0 or 9-0 inline circle. The rig is pre-made...

i agree with the live eel but that to me is a separate set up...

Edited by trade off