Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

How do you rig an anchor for a inflatable boat?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I've been tying to search a system to rig the anchor to a inflatable boat without any good youtube video or pictures. My friend and I got a 10' inflatable boat late last year and been trying to get it setup for in shore fishing. Safety is always first as always and I can't find a good example to rig our anchor and tie to the boat.

There is only one ring below the bow of the boat that attach to a long line (for towing and pulling the boat). I don't believe we use this for hooking up the anchor to it. There is no other point on the boat that's strong enough to hook the anchor to it. 

How should we approach this? 

Well, foxfai. To start it would be nice to know what kind of inflatable you have. Is it a Zodiac or something else? Is the front ring steel, or plastic? Can you take a photo and post it? How deep are you trying to anchor and is there current where you want to anchor? How much do the tides shift? Is the bottom sand, or rock? What is the total weight of the boat fully loaded when fishing?  

The above needs to be considered prior to a recommendation being made. I am sure your problem can be solved. 

I fish a metal Hyde drift boat now but have owned and rowed three inflatables from 10ft to 14ft before switching to a Hyde. The best way I found was to use a piece of frame tubing along the gunnel, lashed to the rings with quick release belted frame straps. You can then get an anchor release/line cleat  that holds the line by friction clamping, just slip line in to fasten, and pull up and back to release: https://www.nrs.com/category/4378/rafting/hypalon-parts-materials

Also, buy some extra glueable rings/pads and add a second ring, follow the instructions, different material uses different glue. You'll find all of this on NRS web site with instructions.  

https://www.nrs.com/product/1200 r/nrs-frame-side-rails-with-plugs  call the frame shop, they will cut, debur and plug ends, any length. 

https://www.nrs.com/category/3202/rafting/inflatable-repair 

pads and glues: https://www.nrs.com/category/4378/rafting/hypalon-parts-materials

Cheapest way is to put on the glueable pad/rings close to one another on the end tube and add another back where you row from and tie it off near your hand and run the line along the top of tube to anchor.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Something primitive, a barbell weight tied to a clothesline

collected in a plastic container. If it's not holding you either

need more weight or more line out. Half hitch tied to a holding

knob/loop on the yak.

Edited by SandSpike1

On 5/9/2019 at 1:10 AM, tailspin said:

Well, foxfai. To start it would be nice to know what kind of inflatable you have. Is it a Zodiac or something else? Is the front ring steel, or plastic? Can you take a photo and post it? How deep are you trying to anchor and is there current where you want to anchor? How much do the tides shift? Is the bottom sand, or rock? What is the total weight of the boat fully loaded when fishing?  

The above needs to be considered prior to a recommendation being made. I am sure your problem can be solved. 

Thanks for your pointers. I finally have time to circle back to this topic...... 

Unfortunately I don't remember the model. It is a Orion (or something like that). A very old type with wooden board on the bottom. Below are some pictures. On the side there is some rings that has a rope tie to it then goes to a ring in front (bottomish) of the boat. 

The places that we will be going will be fairly shallow and with a little bit of current. It will have a electric motor and loaded with probably 3 people and gears; say 700lb or less.

We will be going to places around 15 feet deep or less. Bottom will be sand or rock for the places we scout for.

boat3.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

10 mins ago, foxfai said:

Thanks for your pointers. I finally have time to circle back to this topic...... 

Unfortunately I don't remember the model. It is a Orion (or something like that). A very old type with wooden board on the bottom. Below are some pictures. On the side there is some rings that has a rope tie to it then goes to a ring in front (bottomish) of the boat. 

The places that we will be going will be fairly shallow and with a little bit of current. It will have a electric motor and loaded with probably 3 people and gears; say 700lb or less.

We will be going to places around 15 feet deep or less. Bottom will be sand or rock for the places we scout for.

boat3.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

Ok, forgive me, I work in the marine industry and all I have to say is that is the last "boat" you should be loading three people and gear into for a fishing trip.  That said, tie that anchor to the strongest thing you can find on the boat, whatever it is.  And make some kind of effort to repair the transom, so you don't sink.  And for God sakes, wear PFD's and carry a water proof marine radio.  Sweet Christmas but you really are nuts. . .

Just now, Oakman said:

Ok, forgive me, I work in the marine industry and all I have to say is that is the last "boat" you should be loading three people and gear into for a fishing trip.  That said, tie that anchor to the strongest thing you can find on the boat, whatever it is.  And make some kind of effort to repair the transom, so you don't sink.  And for God sakes, wear PFD's and carry a water proof marine radio.  Sweet Christmas but you really are nuts. . .

Please give me all you can.

We went through inspection and getting a HIN / registration for the boat. We had it in the water and it wasn't leaking..... So you don't think it is safe?

PFD for sure and only going to places just around the dock or 50 feet from shore really..... 

2 mins ago, foxfai said:

Please give me all you can.

We went through inspection and getting a HIN / registration for the boat. We had it in the water and it wasn't leaking..... So you don't think it is safe?

PFD for sure and only going to places just around the dock or 50 feet from shore really..... 

Who inspected the boat?  Did you tell them your intended purpose?  Ok, maybe if you are staying within swimming distance of the shore and dock. . .

The damage at the bottom of the transom is worrisome to my eye, looks lie the rubber overlay from the bottom is chewed through where it was glued to the transom, if the plywood is compromised, it will suck water like a sponge and rot in short order.  You should check that out and seal it up as best you can.  Inflatables like this were really only meant to get you from the mooring to the dock, maybe with three people and groceries, max.  Probably originally only recommended for two people and a small gas motor.  How long is it?  If you really intend to stay 50 feet from shore than I guess, but just be careful.  

5 mins ago, Oakman said:

Who inspected the boat?  Did you tell them your intended purpose?  Ok, maybe if you are staying within swimming distance of the shore and dock. . .

The damage at the bottom of the transom is worrisome to my eye, looks lie the rubber overlay from the bottom is chewed through where it was glued to the transom, if the plywood is compromised, it will suck water like a sponge and rot in short order.  You should check that out and seal it up as best you can.  Inflatables like this were really only meant to get you from the mooring to the dock, maybe with three people and groceries, max.  Probably originally only recommended for two people and a small gas motor.  How long is it?  If you really intend to stay 50 feet from shore than I guess, but just be careful.  

Someone from Mass. environmental police came by and inspected the boat at my friend's house. He took a 'look' and spoke with him, then signed the paper for him to go get registered. The bottom was sealed with silicone. I don't know if it was damage and reseal or just scrapes and the previous owner just decide to add silicone to it. The plywood is old, but I don't see damage or cracks. 

Granted I am only go from launch to somewhere that's just beyond reach of shore fishing, that was my intention with this boat. So somewhere that's 50 feet off a jetty or pier. IIRC the capacity is 1000lb on it and we will be throwing a electric motor and battery for this.

33 mins ago, foxfai said:

Someone from Mass. environmental police came by and inspected the boat at my friend's house. He took a 'look' and spoke with him, then signed the paper for him to go get registered. The bottom was sealed with silicone. I don't know if it was damage and reseal or just scrapes and the previous owner just decide to add silicone to it. The plywood is old, but I don't see damage or cracks. 

Granted I am only go from launch to somewhere that's just beyond reach of shore fishing, that was my intention with this boat. So somewhere that's 50 feet off a jetty or pier. IIRC the capacity is 1000lb on it and we will be throwing a electric motor and battery for this.

Exactly, how versed in boat construction do you think environmental police are?  I deal with a lot of wooden boat, and you would not believe the bulls*t that goes on when the Coast Guard comes to inspect them.  Anyway, just keep your wits about you and be safe, sounds like you are on the right track.  Take the attitude that you don't trust this boat and you should be fine.  Back to your original question, if those straps on the interior bottom are not covered with the wood floor, I'd tie off to that.  Otherwise one of the rings on the tube, just use two.  Tie to one, and then lead the bitter end of the anchor rhode to a second loop.  That way if the one with the strain fails, you have a backup.  Redundancy is your friend.  Good luck.

6 mins ago, Oakman said:

Exactly, how versed in boat construction do you think environmental police are?  I deal with a lot of wooden boat, and you would not believe the bulls*t that goes on when the Coast Guard comes to inspect them.  Anyway, just keep your wits about you and be safe, sounds like you are on the right track.  Take the attitude that you don't trust this boat and you should be fine.  Back to your original question, if those straps on the interior bottom are not covered with the wood floor, I'd tie off to that.  Otherwise one of the rings on the tube, just use two.  Tie to one, and then lead the bitter end of the anchor rhode to a second loop.  That way if the one with the strain fails, you have a backup.  Redundancy is your friend.  Good luck.

Thank you again for your insight. I will check and recheck all things with my friend to make sure we are safe.

Thank you for the photos! I would anchor off the front steel ring, seems pretty sturdy...but what foxfai said would work too. Be safe, bring a radio and check the weather. 

Also, remember that you need 3x the depth in rope for a danforthto to hold! 

On 5/12/2019 at 8:05 PM, tailspin said:

Thank you for the photos! I would anchor off the front steel ring, seems pretty sturdy...but what foxfai said would work too. Be safe, bring a radio and check the weather. 

Also, remember that you need 3x the depth in rope for a danforthto to hold! 

Front ring won't work since it's at the bottom of the boat. I think it's just use for towing .