Budget Kayak Fish Finders

Hey yall, 

I have an Ascend 10T sit on top kayak. The lakes that I fish are often full of submerged cover, and with murky water, these fish mansions are often hard to locate.  

I'm looking for a good, but cheap and small fishfinder that I can throw on my yak rails. 

I was looking at the Garmin Striker 4. 

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks, 
Kevin

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

Thanks. I'll take a look at that for sure. 

Also, my price range is probably $150 max. I'm a student right now so funds are a little tight. 

Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

Nice! Lowrance seems like a great brand!

How does Humminbird stack up to those brands?

Just purchased a Garmin Striker 4 CV ... best reviews for a budget FF ... the Striker 4 is on sale at Cabelas for $99. It is small  (4 inch screen) but really good screen resolution. The CV has the newer sonar but the older type is still quite good ... and at that price you cant go wrong. The CV is $180.

I upgraded to a Humminbird Helix-7 with Mega side images this spring.  Its a very cool unit with a big screen, and lots of options. 

However, it costs 3x what the Hook 4 unit does.  Don't think its helped me catch more fish this spring than when I used the Hook4, lol.

So, if you're on on a budget,IMHO the Hook4 has everything you need.  (GPS, chart, fish finder).   Humminbird likely has less expensive units that will get the job done as well, but I've not used them.

Keep in mind that the CV has a bigger / longer transducer. The plus has a regular transducer and can make maps. The regular 4 also comes with the regular transducer but can't do maps. I think they go for 179 to 139 to 109 price wise.

Edit: the reason I mention this is because the big transducer is a pain to mount inside the kayak and it probably won't fit in any built in existing transducer kayak mount.

Edited by faithless

I plan on going to Bass Pro/Cabela's soon to take a look at them. Thanks yall. 

If anyone else has more feedback, I would love to hear it!!!

Sounds like the Lowrance is the best one for me right now.